Filtering legal from July in NSW

FastFreddy

New South Wales motorcyclists will be the first in the country to be legally allowed to lane filter, driving between cars caught in traffic on multi-lane roads.

As a result of the trial we will introduce a new law that will permit fully licensed motorcyclists to legally filter past stationary vehicles at intersections when it is safe to do so.

"Riders will be able to filter at a speed limit of 30 kilometres per hour. It is important to note the new law will not apply to school zones during hours of operation where there might be an increase in pedestrian activity."

Motorcyclists will still be banned from filtering around trucks and buses, from travelling left of cars in the kerbside lane and from travelling in breakdown lanes.

A new offence will be created for riders who lane filter at speeds over 30kph.

Summarised from source :
Motorcycle lane filtering to be legalised in NSW to reduce traffic congestion, says Roads Minister Duncan Gay - Yahoo!7

This is good news, looks like no more filtering kerbside on a single lane congested side road though.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Does this mean they (poh poh) will be monitoring closely the ways in which we split lanes?

I understand the safety aspects written into the law, however the "new law" aspect will undoubtably be discretionery as to "how" your splitting is viewed by certain observers

Either way I hope in time, it rolls across to South Aus

FastFreddy

I'd imagine the new law will be for fast lane spliting between 30 km/h to the speed limit. I'd presume the fine would be similar to a speeding fine, maybe more ?

Existing speeding laws with the Driving in a Manner Dangerous (for sustained and repeated high speed lane splitting) offence should cover it for the high speed lane splitting.

Last edited:

FastFreddy

The best part about this new law is that it officially acknowledges that lane splitting reduces congestion for all.

Yes, lane splitting makes it faster for cars to get to work too.

gibbo

How many of us already do this? I have been told if I'm going to lane split I'm better off doing it between cars than down the stopping lane as is now where near as big fine.
It's great NSW have it but I don't see QLD bring it in anytime soon :(