Engine swap

• Thread starter Deleted member 20019
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 20019

What other engines can be swapped out in this bike? Mine is locked. Won't turn over. Can't turn it by hand with spark plugs out either. I got this bike for free. So, no money in it yet. Used FZ6R engines run about $450 on eBay. But, I'm thinking about making this a drag/street bike. Will a 1000cc engine fit? Or, do I have to stick with 600cc's?

Kystify

I'm sure you could make anything fit, however the steel frame and non standard parts like rearsets and handlebars make it not very conducive to making it particularly performance orientied. You are better off swapping a plug and play motor and selling it and getting into a standard supersport with more modification support and standard parts.

Texasbluezman

I was taking the engine apart and found nothing, till I was splitting the casings. Upon breaking one of the bolts loose, part of the block gave out and exposed the connecting rod sticking out. Was apparently overrevved till something gave. So, I replaced the engine with another FZ6R engine. I'm stuck with one problem, actually 2, but I have one figured out. The neutral safety switch is apparently bad. I have to move the shifter around to be able to crank. I'm planning to replace with one out of the old engine. Problem 2, Fault code 12, crankshaft position sensor. It checks out with a multimeter, shows 300 ohms. The one out of the old engine shows the same. I have come to the understanding that they can read good, but still be bad? I was gonna change it out with the one out of the old engine, or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?

Thanks,
Roland

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Texasbluezman

Well, it helps to plug in everything in the right socket. I thought that every plug was shaped different to keep that from happening. Apparently not! Lol! I got the bike cranked and took it around the block. Now, I just need to replace the fork seals cause all the fork oil is on the front tire. That's an easy job.

Texasbluezman

The bike is complete! Gonna get it street legal, ie. inspection and tags. Was a fun project. I'll keep it for a little bit, but will eventually be sold. Want to drag race a Hayabusa.