Ear buds / Helmet Speakers - Any Issues with law enforcement

mxw1090

I do a lot of long distance trips by bike and usually research MC specific laws before just to make sure I will not have any issues. Someone posted about ear buds, so instead of hijacking their post, I'm posting a new one about laws on the number of speakers. I have a Cardo communcater system in my helmet. On long trips I normally plug in an ipod or listen to the FM, as well as talk with other riders if I'm in a group. In checking laws there are several states that restrict the number of ear buds/helmet speakers. California is one of them. I've been avoiding CA, but would really like to ride the coast on my next trip to WA.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of CA riders on here. Does anyone ride with ear buds or a helmet system and do you have any issues? Has anyone been pulled over to check speakers?

Are there any other states where this is an issue or other mc unique laws?

AZ doesn't have many MC laws, but I always ride with a full face helmet, riding jacket, boots, gloves, so I don't really worry about specifics on those, just anything else.

latony007

I do a lot of long distance trips by bike and usually research MC specific laws before just to make sure I will not have any issues. Someone posted about ear buds, so instead of hijacking their post, I'm posting a new one about laws on the number of speakers. I have a Cardo communcater system in my helmet. On long trips I normally plug in an ipod or listen to the FM, as well as talk with other riders if I'm in a group. In checking laws there are several states that restrict the number of ear buds/helmet speakers. California is one of them. I've been avoiding CA, but would really like to ride the coast on my next trip to WA.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of CA riders on here. Does anyone ride with ear buds or a helmet system and do you have any issues? Has anyone been pulled over to check speakers?

Are there any other states where this is an issue or other mc unique laws?

AZ doesn't have many MC laws, but I always ride with a full face helmet, riding jacket, boots, gloves, so I don't really worry about specifics on those, just anything else.
I dont know the actual law im sure we can google it. I know you were never allowed to wear both earplugs or headphones while driving a car, had to be one. i assume that has not changed. I have integrated bluetooth in my helmet and I have certainly never been pulled over and have it on everywhere i go. About 3 years riding pretty much every weekend and never an issue or look. Around here cops got bigger things to worry about lol. You could probably make a legal argument it does not technically have headphones or earplugs and unlike seeing earplugs in someones ears there is no way to tell its actually on. Either way i would not worry about it, you are certainly not going to get pulled over for it. Mine is pretty invisible except the blinking light but i see guys with the big giant SENA or whatever attached to their helmet all the time around here.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

mxw1090

Thanks for the info. I don't ususally have problems on the bike, but thought I would check with the CA guys.

latony007

Thanks for the info. I don't ususally have problems on the bike, but thought I would check with the CA guys.
You will be fine, if you make it over this way let me know.

I have a Sena SMH10R, totally legal in Maryland here. One ear bud is the law, but I wear two doing highway rides since they also act as ear plugs... but I pipe that through my Sena so I can turn it down, off, answer phone calls, whatever.

Whenever I have them in and take my helmet off, they almost always come out of my ears with the helmet. Law enforcement would never know you have both in. My friend has gotten pulled over in Baltimore, he just grabbed the cable when he pulled his helmet down so his ear buds popped out. I'm sure law enforcement has more important things to worry about than how many ear buds you are rocking.

My opinion is do what you want as long as you are safe and aware of your surroundings.
According to AMA, MD has no restriction on helmet speakers. And I have a Sena SMH10 and I piped my cables behind the cushioning so you cant even see anything except at the unit. :)

SixRFixR

I would worry zero seconds about using 2 speakers in CA. I agree the biggest factor is that the CHP has more important things to do. Road rules seem loosely enforced to me. Speeding, no signaling, floating stop signs... As long as you're not running into each other the cops are pretty tolerant. The midwest is where they make you toe the line.

Will turn-by-turn instructions from a linked smartphone play over those Sena units?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

VRIIClubby

In Aus we have the one ear bud rule, no ear buds for learners,

Very loosely enforced as far as I am aware, In some states here they are booking people for GoPro's attached to Helmets and tinted visors.

If you're acting like a knob, well then, you more than likely deserve a once over by the peepz in blue.

SixRFixR

In some states here they are booking people for GoPro's attached to Helmets and tinted visors.
No GoPro's and tinted visors? Those are certainly ok here in the nanny state of California. In fact, around here law enforcement fondly refer to GoPros as "evidence."