Dunlop Roadsmart

SurfJunkie

Hey All,

Did a quick search and couldn't really find any information with regards to Dunlop tires and our sled, so ive created this thread.

I just ordered a set of these tires in stock size from Motorcycle super store and they are expected to arrive this week. My dealer is giving me free mount and balance if I just bring wheels. They should be on this weekend.

Ive got a friend here at work on a Suzuki B-King who just purchased these tires and has had nothing but good things to say.

bobby bo bonsin

Mine came with dunlop roadsmarts from factory.

Hello my real name is Adam.

Chevyfazer

Never ran any roadsmarts, but ride with some guys who do. The guys who do a lot of touring, and ride alot of slab on larger heavier bikes have nothing but praise about them especially in the rain, but the people who have smaller lighter bikes and push harder in the corners say they will never buy another set of "dunFlops" again. The stuff ive read about them online tend to back that up so I guess it depends on how you ride if you will like them or not.

DavidB455

Never ran any roadsmarts, but ride with some guys who do. The guys who do a lot of touring, and ride alot of slab on larger heavier bikes have nothing but praise about them especially in the rain, but the people who have smaller lighter bikes and push harder in the corners say they will never buy another set of "dunFlops" again. The stuff ive read about them online tend to back that up so I guess it depends on how you ride if you will like them or not.
I agree with you. The dunflops really are flops in heavy rain in cornering. Your confidence is really reduced if your trying to move with speed in the rain. In the dry yeah they work well but they do slip if your not carful.

SurfJunkie

Most of my riding is highway in a straight line.

I have to admit I don't get to Canyons or twisties as often as id like, but such is life. Just hoping to get more than 5K out of a set of tires. I ride 5 days a week.

txjames

Elite Member

Dustin600

Hey All,

Did a quick search and couldn't really find any information with regards to Dunlop tires and our sled, so ive created this thread.

I just ordered a set of these tires in stock size from Motorcycle super store and they are expected to arrive this week. My dealer is giving me free mount and balance if I just bring wheels. They should be on this weekend.

Ive got a friend here at work on a Suzuki B-King who just purchased these tires and has had nothing but good things to say.
My FZ6R came with these tires from the factory. I commute 80 miles daily and ride rain or shine and have never had an issue with them. I think they corner well and have good rain traction. Right now the bike has just under 8,000 miles on it and I am wore down past the wear indicators on the rear tire. The front has plenty of tread. I have a new Roadsmart rear tire to go on as soon as I get a day off.

BKP

I'm with Dustin.

Mine came with the Roadsmarts, and I've *never* babied the bike. That includes dry; wet; twisties like the Suches Loop (Georgia's answer to the Tail of the Dragon); heavy throttle cruising on 400; and a few less than fun quick stops for left turners, merging texters, and blind soccer moms piloting boats on wheels...

Never had a slip, wobble, or loss of confidence. Skidded about 30 feet in less than a second (doing ~50mph), locked up both wheels, but traveled in a perfectly straight line, for a left turner a couple of weeks ago (have it on video if anyone's interested).

I'll be buying the Roadsmarts again...

txjames

Elite Member

BKP

Yes, video, please?
You got it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2tQo0ilGE0]FZ6R Brakes git 'r done - YouTube[/ame]

redprodigy35

My bike also came with the RoadSmarts.

Just some personal thoughts on them:
-Huge difference for me between cold and warm.
-They take quite a bit of time to get warm.
-I'm also thinking about Q2's with the reasoning that they'll be more confidence inspiring in the corners... Grip, profile, etc.
- I run mine 33/36 which is for "spirited riding". Best feeling for me in the corners (prob. a bit low for commuting).

All in all thought if I look back I think they have served me great. Let's put it this way, if I decide against the Q2's because of what I read recently regarding wear and tear on them -- I will be getting the RoadSmarts again. Good tire.

SurfJunkie

WELP, my dealer called me and stated my tires had arrived.

They also decided to "bait and switch" my ass too.

Before I purchased, I went in IN PERSON to chat with them about tires. They stated they could not lower the prices at all, but they would give me free mount and balance being I purchased my bike there. I go back home and pull up motorcycle super store, and call the dealer again to discuss. I tell them MSS pricing, and ask if they can come within anything close as I would prefer to support local businesses and their reply was "no", so I ordered from MSS.

Dealer "manager" calls me today and tells me my tires have arrived, but that I could have saved some money if I bought my tires from them. I give him the above run down, and he proceeded to tell me that person was incorrect and they could move pricing and now they want me to pay 40 dollars per tire for mount/balance.

Im headed to the dealer to claim my tires and give them the BIRD for bait and switching me. They don't get my money now, I wont be going back for any future purchase. Im a bit pissed off especially being that I sent them a buddy who purchased a brand new dirt bike and other accessories. Typical dealer nonsense.

JSP

Super Moderator

Before I purchased, I went in IN PERSON to chat with them about tires. They stated they could not lower the prices at all, but they would give me free mount and balance being I purchased my bike there. I go back home and pull up motorcycle super store, and call the dealer again to discuss. I tell them MSS pricing, and ask if they can come within anything close as I would prefer to support local businesses and their reply was "no", so I ordered from MSS.

Dealer "manager" calls me today and tells me my tires have arrived, but that I could have saved some money if I bought my tires from them. I give him the above run down, and he proceeded to tell me that person was incorrect and they could move pricing and now they want me to pay 40 dollars per tire for mount/balance.

Im headed to the dealer to claim my tires and give them the BIRD for bait and switching me. They don't get my money now, I wont be going back for any future purchase. Im a bit pissed off especially being that I sent them a buddy who purchased a brand new dirt bike and other accessories. Typical dealer nonsense.

Good for you not giving them business. Most small shops will swap tires for $20 each if you just bring them the rim/tire itself.

Chevyfazer

Things like this are just another reason why I do my own tires. When you were speaking with the guy who said free, is it possible he was saying if you bought the tires from them? A lot of places will do that, but from the sounds of it he sounds like just another clueless idiot.

Support your local speed shop!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

Things like this are just another reason why I do my own tires. When you were speaking with the guy who said free, is it possible he was saying if you bought the tires from them? A lot of places will do that, but from the sounds of it he sounds like just another clueless idiot.

Support your local speed shop!
I decided to go to my local speed shop on Saturday, and they mounted and balanced while i sat on my tailgate. Cool bunch of people too.

I went for a short little ride after I got the bike back together and torqued up. Bike feels much better with a new set of shoes on. No real comments as to cornering/grip just yet. Trying to put some miles on them before attempting aggressive lean. No complaints thus far. I think Im very very slightly off on my rear alignment too. Gonna re-do it tonight.

Chucker

Trying to put some miles on them before attempting aggressive lean.
You don't need to put miles on them. You need to accelerate hard followed by hard braking. Do this 1/2 dozen times and you're good to go. The tires are never better than when the rubber's brand new and it's the heat cycles that break them in. You don't need to scuff the surface, you need to flex the carcass.

SurfJunkie

You don't need to put miles on them. You need to accelerate hard followed by hard braking. Do this 1/2 dozen times and you're good to go. The tires are never better than when the rubber's brand new and it's the heat cycles that break them in. You don't need to scuff the surface, you need to flex the carcass.
Thanks for the info.

Im going to ride within my limits, and do what I feel I must till I am comfortable on the new tires and find the edges through my own normal riding.

Ive also read that Dunlop switched to "no mold release" in 2006.