Dual compound tires. Love em, hate em, never tired them?

NUISANCE

My bike is about 75% commuter and 25% on the twisties. I am going to be in need of a new tire soon and my buddy who rides suggested a dual compound tire given the way that I ride.

Have any of you guys and gals given a dual compound tire a shot? How did it work out? Which one did you go with?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Kdubb223

My bike is about 75% commuter and 25% on the twisties. I am going to be in need of a new tire soon and my buddy who rides suggested a dual compound tire given the way that I ride.

Have any of you guys and gals given a dual compound tire a shot? How did it work out? Which one did you go with?
Im in the same boat, I plan on going with BT-023 tires eventually.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTif-Bw0uj4]Bridgestone Tyres UK - Battlax BT-023 Ron Haslam Track Test - YouTube[/ame]

RoadTrip

I wouldn't say dual compound is the only way to mitigate center wear, some brands (e.g. Metzler) use varying belt tension with one compound to do the same thing.

I been through the whole 'more stick than you need, and you're wasting rubber' threads many times, and I suppose the experienceed riders may have been right (e.g. ST tires will suffice for most riders), that was true up until recently where I am now finding a bit of legit slip on some aggressive corners (have even had to refocus on hanging to keep max grip).

So, yeah, you will still throw away some remaining useful side rubber on the HS tires as the center wears too fast, but if it keeps the rubber side down, then it's worth the extra expense. Really any HS tire will do, but if you still a bit fresher rider, then you should still be able to get away with ST tires for awhile - e.g. Pirelli Angels, Metzler Z8's, or Michelin PR3's are top ST choices.

Chevyfazer

for bikes like the FZ6R and FZ6 dual compound tires are perfect! These bikes dont have nearly enough tq to really break the back tire loose under normaly circumstances and with you mainly commuting on your bike a harder compound in the center makes perfect sense. ive been running shinko 009 ravens now for over a year, im on my 3rd set, the best mileage i have seen on a rear was about 13000 and about 15000 on the front but ive been plagued by road debris and have gotten several flats and havent been able to get full use out of any more. But for the price they just cant be beaten mileage wise or traction wise. never had a issue hooking up at the dragstrip and they stick the turns like glue even with me not hanging off the bike and laid over alot more than normal. So far the only people who have out run me in the turns were some locals at Deals Gap and they were all on SS bikes running HS tires and one guy was even on slicks! But im like you and most of my riding is commuting, plus i put about 25,000 miles on my bike a year so dual compounds or sport touring tires are what i will be sticking with unless i get another bike and turn this one into a track bike.

Some people say HS tires are cheep insurance but honestly the tires only do what the rider tells them too, and if the rider makes a mistake the tires dont care. Buying the softest tires out there will not make anyone faster unless they are at the limit of their currnet tires potential and there are very few people out there who can honestly say that and most of them are PRO's.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chucker

I love my Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's, and I do a high percentage of track time.

NUISANCE

for bikes like the FZ6R and FZ6 dual compound tires are perfect! These bikes dont have nearly enough tq to really break the back tire loose under normaly circumstances and with you mainly commuting on your bike a harder compound in the center makes perfect sense. ive been running shinko 009 ravens now for over a year, im on my 3rd set, the best mileage i have seen on a rear was about 13000 and about 15000 on the front but ive been plagued by road debris and have gotten several flats and havent been able to get full use out of any more. But for the price they just cant be beaten mileage wise or traction wise. never had a issue hooking up at the dragstrip and they stick the turns like glue even with me not hanging off the bike and laid over alot more than normal. So far the only people who have out run me in the turns were some locals at Deals Gap and they were all on SS bikes running HS tires and one guy was even on slicks! But im like you and most of my riding is commuting, plus i put about 25,000 miles on my bike a year so dual compounds or sport touring tires are what i will be sticking with unless i get another bike and turn this one into a track bike.

Some people say HS tires are cheep insurance but honestly the tires only do what the rider tells them too, and if the rider makes a mistake the tires dont care. Buying the softest tires out there will not make anyone faster unless they are at the limit of their currnet tires potential and there are very few people out there who can honestly say that and most of them are PRO's.
So I guess its between shinko 009 ravens and the pilot power :)

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

NUISANCE

Is there anything like Tire-rack where I can pull up numerous tires, have them side by side and compare them?

The Pilot power are 120ish and the 009s are 100ish from motorcycle superstore. I was looking at my tire today and I am getting REAL close to the wear bars and I want to drive it as much as I can before the weather turns so I'm in a slight rush......

Detrich

Each manufacturers web site has great tire selector wizards actually... Give them a try. :)

For 75% commuting definitely go with a Sport Touring class tire, like a BT-023 or comparable.