Don't point the toes down on a turn!!

alh081

Today was my first day riding into work. As some of you know, I am a new rider. I got my M1 not long ago and purchased a new FZ6R that I am very happy with. Anyway, coming home from work today, I was making a sharp left turn and had my left toes pointing downward under the shifter while i was leaning. My shoe scraped the ground a bit and due to reaction, i jerked the bike a bit. I got a bit scared but came out of it w/o losing control.

A question for the forum. When riding, i tend to keep my foot rested under the shifter. Is that the correct way?? I just want to know if that is how the rest of you do it as well.

will415

If u want my answer I been riding for a very long time and I always rest my feet how ever i feel more comfortable in. But even after having 10 years to my belt I have had this happen twise i found it kinda funny on my end but ya be safe and keep the feet up. I only put them that way to rest them but let's say those two time i forgot lol scrapped some of my shoe off on same shoes lol.

Michael Wilson

adjust the shifter to yor personal preferance. just adjust the shift rod and then set the jam nuts again. I personally have mine to so when my foot is in the nuetral position (most comfortable) my shifter is about equal with the bottom of my boot sole. just my personal preferance

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

GHOSTWITTHEMOST

I ride with only about 1" of my boots hanging over the front of the peg. I only really move them forward when I need to shift or brake.

GrapeApe

Yep I have done the same thing a few times myself. One time i was just making a turn not even fast or anything went to shift and bam scraped my boot. Of course i do wear a size 15.. Probably my bad for shifting at that time but i am not perfect. And i agree what ever is comfortable. If i am on a hard ride i am the balls if i am just cursing i am were ever is comfortable. I have to move around a lot cause i have bad knees.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BKP

Brock Kickass

I hook the heels of my boots on the pegs sometimes when I'm just farting along the freeway or something, but if I'm leaning the bike much at all I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and move them to use foot controls and put them right back when I'm done. I usually hang off in turns, if I'm not riding hard I still reposition on the saddle slightly before I turn, so I have a natural movement where I place the ball of my inside foot on the peg last thing before I initiate a turn. I try to repeat the same sequence of movements every time I turn so that it becomes natural and I do it without thinking, which is why I hang of at least a bit in almost every turn. That way, even if I'm being lazy with my feet on a straight I will naturally tuck up before a turn and not surprise myself.

alh081

will try to keep my on balls of the foot and see how that works out. thanks for the input. its nice to know that this happens to experience riders as well so it makes me seem less like a noob. hahahaha.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Balls of my feet on the pegs, never foot under or near shifter unless I'm shifting.
As above, it helps with "pushing" on outside peg in turns too

Detrich

Balls of my feet on the pegs, never foot under or near shifter unless I'm shifting.
^ I agree & believe that this is the correct way to ride... :) But in the beginning, please PLEASE follow what u learned in MSF course.

That said, you don't drive with your left foot constantly covering the brake or the clutch pedal. So, you shouldn't be riding that way either... But it takes time to get honed in on being able to quickly change your foot position accurately...

Don't rush to change your foot positioning just because it looks cool to ride like more experienced riders. It's useless if you cannot properly control the bike riding like that. Do what's comfortable and whats safe for now.

Over time & eventually & gradually u will learn to ride with your balls of your feet on the pegs and be able to quickly react forward on both your left & right foot. But until then, go with what u learned in MSF.

That said, the first time I "dragged my boot toe" on the FZ6R it surprised the shit outta me too. lol. The added height and position of the rearsets of the R6 make this less of a concern nowadays... But, still- yah it was unnerving.

If you watch MotoGP riders, they often are on on their arches, which I first thought was weird. But I think that is only because their rearsets are so damn high. And, some of those guys are really tall. So, they inevitably sometimes ride the foot peg near the arches of their boots. Racing and street riding are completely different though.

Stay safe

Last edited:

alh081

I dont recall them mentioning the foot position in the MSF course and the riding session had these 150cc cruisers so they never taught us about foot position on a sportier bike.

Detrich

They did teach foot positioning, but it wasn't emphasized very much- only enough to properly operate the motorcycle. i do not specifically recall them teaching new riders starting off riding "on the balls of your feet."

In fact I don't think they ever said to do so.. This is because new riders are still getting accustomed to where their feet need to be to shift and brake properly.

If I recall correctly, they recommend a relaxed & more arch or front heel position to allow easy & quick reach to engage either the clutch pedal and step down on the rear brake- without actually engaging it or fully hovering on it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

DakinechicK

This is how I ride. I've never thought of putting my feet elsewhere. :eek: