Dealer Service and Opinions

kiggaxwut

Last week I let Mountain Motorsports pick up my bike and take it in for a diagnostics. 52-point inspection per the service rep at around $85 including the tow to and from. I'm a bit worried however as they say they haven't test drove the bike which would hopefully reveal any missing issues.

I was quoted the following for services that needed repair:

Brake Fluid Change (and I am assuming brake bleed. I can do this myself but since this is my first bike I don't want to take any chances at all with the brakes): 219.99

Fender Eliminator Kit Install/Wiring: 289.99 (PO snipped the wiring on the tail end of the bike, didn't want to mess with electrics when starting out).

Quote for Fairing/Plastics Install (mostly for shits and giggles as they're all off the bike, MMS can **** right off): $600

I've gone ahead and bit the bullet for the brakes/rear end repairs. I know it is a simple task to bleed the brakes and I know they overcharged me. Hindsight 20/20. My issue is that the bike has been sitting for two years. They made no mention of the tires which are 7 years old and the wrong size from stock. They can't test ride the bike because the indicators are off, which is another reason I went ahead and asked them to install a new rear assembly. Not sure if they'll test it without the front indicators on. I've got condensation leaking from a hole in my catalytic converter, but no mention of that either. My horn doesn't work and isn't even plugged in - this also wasn't mentioned.

I guess I'm having my doubts about this place and whether or not they are really inspecting the motorcycle. It's my first and I want to make sure it's completely road worthy before I take it out. Does anyone have any recommendations of anything else I should mention? I mean, the tires might technically be rideable. Is this something they would mention after the test ride?

Anyone else have experience with MMS? Any tips on things to ask/look for when I pick the bike up?

And a somewhat related question - how can I flush/clean my coolant reservoir tank without removing the exhaust? Can I just unplug the cap/hose and fill it with Engine Ice? The dealer said it's bone dry so I don't think I need to remove any fluid. Thanks!

tdnathens

Hi; What model and year is your bike? Tell us something about it's history. Setting for two years? Why? Mileage, past work by previous owners, size of tires on bike, etc. Is the whole block empty of coolant or just the reservoir? That's probably just a drain hole in your exhaust system. You need to pick up a shop manual if you intend to do some service yourselves. Your in a tough spot if you have no bike experience, no mechanic you can trust, and your bike is in the shape you describe. Any info you can give this forum will help out with advice.
Good Luck, Tom

kiggaxwut

Sorry about that - linked from a reddit post I made previously. It is a 2011 Yamaha FZ6R. I bought it from the PO who put about 20 miles on it and let it sit in his garage for 2-3 years. 11.5k miles. Past work was nonexistent from what I could tell. They attempted putting aftermarket bar ends, sliders, mirrors, etc. but look to have failed miserably. The plastics/fairings are all off of the bike, and I'm sure many bolts are missing. The services I listed in my OP are the only ones they recommended, and typically a dealer is out to make as much money as they can, which is partly why I am confused they didn't mention all of the other things I believe need work.

Before sending it to the dealer I changed the oil, flushed the coolant (minus the reservoir per my post), cleaned/lubed the chain. I do have a Haynes manual that I used to do the above maintenance.

The only answers I've gotten so far are that I'm a overpaying buffoon and to ensure they used soldered/shrink wrapped connections on my fender eliminator kit. As you state, I have no bike experience, very little mechanical experience, and no friends/family that ride to guide me along the way. I really appreciate any insight you all can offer. It's terribly hard finding YouTube videos for this model bike to do anything other than a oil/coolant change.

vcdstroyr

If you're not comfortable turning wrenches, that's cool. Not everyone knows how to do that stuff. I do some of my own maintenance but that doesn't mean I want to sometimes. It gets hot out here in the South and I don't want to sit in the heat.

I do suggest you find smaller independent shops to work on your bike though. They might give you better prices. Do some shopping around.

You can find videos on how to do brake fluid changes. It's not going to be specifically for the 6R but the principal is the same. You can also look through the how to section on this forum. I got a lot of good info here. Search.