Daytime running lights/turning signals

davet7469

Someone asked for a how to for this awhile ago and finally got around to it. I installed these DRL's that i found on ebay.
2X 30cm Flexible Car Soft Tube Guide LED Strip Lamp DRL Daytime Running Light

When i installed these i had everything torn apart already, so i did have easier access, but only the two plastic pieces near the speedometer need to be removed for this. It is a pretty easy plug and play, but it does require some custom work.

First remove the plastic plug and the hex screw on this plastic cover.

and do the same on the other side.

Next your going to want to make two small indents with a drill at about these locations. This is custom work, so if you have a better idea, try it out. Put the tube in different spots and see where you may want it.

Using a drill bit that's about as small as these screws.

DONT drill all the way through. The purpose of the small indents is to make it easier to screw in the the tiny screws these come with.Without the indents, they just slide all over resulting in hours of frustration. Keep in mind these are tiny screw, so be careful not to strip them. We only need four screws and it comes with six so there is room for error. I used screwdriver for an iphone that i happened to have and put it on a drill. Once the plastic holders are in, it's going to get a little crazy, its time to guide the tube through the hole starting from the tank.

Ok not that crazy, everything is just tedious if anything. Once the tube is through, slide the tube through the plastic holders. Now its time to splice some wires. I already have after market turn signals which makes it easier.

OEM/Daytime running light wires
Black= ground wire ( black)
blue=DRL's ( red wire)
brown/green=turning signals (yellow)
Test out the DRL's and signals before you tape them up. Make sure the wires are well separated before turning on the bike.

Once the wires are tested, tape them up with some electric tape and tuck them away. Make sure there is enough room for full turn wheel turns.Make sure they are not too long since there are some hot things nearby. Also reinforce those wires where they transition to a connection. They are not the most durable things. One of the wires just disconnected on me from the middle portion of the DRL wires and i had to solder it back on.

Connect the wire for the turn signals back to the OEM plug and plug in the other end that we already had setup. Now just put it all back together.

Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry i don't have pictures of when i actually did it or there would be more detailed pictures. I got carried away.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member