Contour HD 1080p

CrazyCawi

Soooooooooooo I made a HUGE purchase today...and bought the contour....Along with a handlebar mount, and the connect view for my Iphone for it. I have not set it up and used it yet but Ill be setting it up soon! I am very excited to use it! I didnt get the vholdr original as that is the older model, I got the newest updated with full 1080p @ 30fps.

I will take pictures of the mounts used and give you snap shots via my iphone of the connect view!

I will progressively post a review on this product here.

I got it at REI and I talked the manager into giving me 30% off if I became a member($20 for a lifetime membership which includes free rock climbing at all locations so its worth it to me) So I saved a total of $60 off the product minus the $20 for the membership so I saved $40 over a new one online at the lowest price I have found. The % didnt count towards the connect view or the mount so I still spent $300 on the damn thing as both accesories added up to $60 lol

The wife wasnt very happy when I brought it home....but I told her we can use it for home footage as well, and so Yeah I think itll smooth over, shes going shopping tomorrow and will forget all about the purchase :iconbeer:...untill she reads this :rolleyes:

BTW THE GPS FUNCTION IS NOT WORTH $100 I SAW THE LIVE DEMONSTRATION, YOU GET A DOT ON A MAP WHERE YOU STARTED AND A DOT ON THE FINISH POINT, AND YOUR AVERAGE SPEED ON A GEOGRAPHICAL MAP. GOOGLE MAPS AND MANY ANDROID APPLICATIONS AND IPHONE APS CAN PROVIDE THE SAME!

View attachment 21307

Last edited:

Spunky99

Same exact cams I have. I never bought a handlebar mount though. Tell us how that works out. Word of caution. Do use the tether, my Son grabbed his helmet and knocked the cam off the rotational mount and the tether kept it from hitting the ground. I had just put on the tether before we went to K1 Speed too as I had the tether off to allow the cam to fit inside the waterproof housing. Saved...no fail...winning!:)

CrazyCawi

I cant wait to zooom zoom with it on :)

maybe go like mach 2 and do an endo on the freeway? ok thats not even funny im kidding.....

Heineken

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

well I have 90 days to return it if im not satisfied with the video quality, but every comparison video I saw of side by side, the contour DOMINATED the go pro between low light and intense light focus's

Spunky99

well I have 90 days to return it if im not satisfied with the video quality, but every comparison video I saw of side by side, the contour DOMINATED the go pro between low light and intense light focus's
You will notice on both the Contour and the GoPro when pointed at the sun there will be digital vertical streaks periodically. This is because the sun overpowers the sensor. It is normal. I put on the 37mm filter ring kit and a UV filter but didn't see any change. It will work better for airsoft as the filter is glass and not plastic like the stock lens protectors on both cams. The 6mm plastic BBs won't be breaking the lens.

CrazyCawi

I wont be airsofting any time soon, BUTTTTTTT I will maybe start vlogging :)

CrazyCawi

Okay after some trial and error on placement with it on my helmet, THIS THING ROCKS! I dont feel ANY drag on it, it has a VERY SOLID mount system, not to mention the fact that its video quality is IMPECABLE! Im so glad I got the contour versus any other camera on the market! When I get the dough I plan to buy another one!

CrazyCawi

Some of them are "Home vids" lol that are not to be shown on family friendly websites hahaha

Spunky99

Okay after some trial and error on placement with it on my helmet, THIS THING ROCKS! I dont feel ANY drag on it, it has a VERY SOLID mount system, not to mention the fact that its video quality is IMPECABLE! Im so glad I got the contour versus any other camera on the market! When I get the dough I plan to buy another one!
I have 2 of them. One on the helmet and one on the rear of the race bike to get competition shots. I broke one in the bike wreck but replaced it right away.
I love them and I can verify zero drag on the helmet past 120 mph....:D
The GoPro mounted on top of your helmet can't do that.

Last edited:

J.J.

I have a gopro I use sledding.
Think I will pick up one these for a second camera.
Great for the trail and street for sure!

ajiribarren

Isn't the Connectview card to be used exclusively with the GPS cam?

CrazyCawi

yep I had to return it, the sales person didnt tell me that when they sold me the connect view lol

ajiribarren

yep I had to return it, the sales person didnt tell me that when they sold me the connect view lol
Damn! I want the Connectview option, but paying for the ContourGPS + Connectview card is a little rich for me. I was hoping they had released a new version of the classic Contour that used the special card

CrazyCawi

In all honesty once you have a good mounting position you wont want it anyways and think it was a waste of money.

Gunn4r

Have you tryed any vlogging yet? How is the mic on it? Does it have a mic that runs into your helmet? I've always want to do some vlogging but trying to figure out the right camera setup for it has always kind of deterred me.

bakkenlab

I just picked up a brand new Contour HD 1080p for $175
how did you manage that?!?!? due to me hitting a dear this was suppose to be my next purchase but bike comes first...if i found one for that price though, i would buy it in a heartbeat!