Change your brake fluid

S

SkyOrDie

I just put on Spiegler stainless steel front brake lines. The brake fluid was a bit discolored and stank. The bike is a 2011 and I got it new just about 1 year ago. That seems a bit early, so I recommend you bleed your lines with some fresh fluid.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BKP

Well... taking a piss is just *slightly* simpler... If you let the entire system bleed out, without refilling the master, it'll take forever to get all the bubbles out. I had to do this right after I bought my bike, since they did a piss poor job of checking fluid/air levels on my bike at checkout.

You want to get a manual brake bleeder kit ('bout $17 from Cyclegear, and it's re-usable).
STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY Parts & Accessories - Brake Bleeder Tool - Cycle Gear

And, then you want to watch this to see how it's done (much easier if you have someone there pulling the brake lever, while you work the caliper screw:

Motorcycle Brake Bleeding Procedure from Sportbiketrackgear.com - YouTube

Michael Wilson

it easier to suck out all the old fluid from the resivor (leaving the lines full of fluid) then pour new fluid in, crack the bleeder valves and pump brake until fresh fluid is seen. Just dont forget to top off your resivor and dont let it get too low and get air bubble in your lines.

JSP

Super Moderator
it easier to suck out all the old fluid from the resivor (leaving the lines full of fluid) then pour new fluid in, crack the bleeder valves and pump brake until fresh fluid is seen. Just dont forget to top off your resivor and dont let it get too low and get air bubble in your lines.
I am going to go that route when doing my fluid swap. Don't have the money for new lines right now. Possibly next time the fluid needs swapped.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Michael Wilson

ya its not hard my way jsut takes out some of the brake pumping thats all.

JSP

Super Moderator
Did my clutch fluid and brake fluid last week. Had the wife help me and it was a breeze. Definitely needed changed. Nasty dirty lookin fluids. Nice and clear now. I was always afraid of doing bleeding but its so simple.

bmw675

Press the lever. Crack the bleeder. Close the bleeder. Press the lever. Crack the bleeder. Close the bleeder. So long as the lever is in when the bleeder is cracked, there's no bubbles.
You can also get a motion pro mini bleeder to avoid having to do that.
Works great.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bmw675

I like to do one hand on the lever, and the other pouring the fluid in.

I purchased the special tool and ended up throwing the hunk of junk away and doing what rabbitman just suggested. one hand for lever other for bleeder screw
What was it doing wrong for you?