Chain tighten up

mikec100

Just had a 6000 mile service my 2012 model XJ6 diversion. The dealer informed me that the chain was worn out and severly knotted in several places. When I challenged the dealer they said it was due to a scotoiler being fitted. I have challanged both dealer and Yamaha UK that a scotoiler is designed to extend the life of a chain not shorten it. I have spoken with scotoiler who have heard of the problem before. I would be interested to know how many other owners have experienced this problem.

Mike

JSP

Super Moderator
The only issue I can see with the oiler affecting the chain is if it was not working properly and the chain was not getting oiled. Now even if it WAS working correctly... Were you also cleaning and adjusting the chain properly as well?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

mikec100

Have never had to adjust the chain it has always been within the manufactures recommended criteria. Have added a little extra lube on the odd occasion, have cleaned it once around the 3000 mile mark. The chain always seemed well oiled, not dry or rusty, which is something I get with the other bikes I own If I don't lube them every 500 or 600 miles. Bike is riden in all weathers, fair bit of rain in the UK but not off road or in sandy conditions, just a commute in and out of London every day.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Have never had to adjust the chain it has always been within the manufactures recommended criteria. Have added a little extra lube on the odd occasion, have cleaned it once around the 3000 mile mark. The chain always seemed well oiled, not dry or rusty, which is something I get with the other bikes I own If I don't lube them every 500 or 600 miles. Bike is riden in all weathers, fair bit of rain in the UK but not off road or in sandy conditions, just a commute in and out of London every day.

I would say not cleaning it is the culprit then. Not cleaning a chain in 3k miles is a no no. Just because it stays oiled does not mean grit and dirt is not getting into it. Once the O-Rings are damaged from grit and dirt/build up, the chain is going down. O-ring chains have a lube in them which is held in by the O-Ring. When dirt and grit and build up are not cleaned off, they can damage and work their way into and past the O-Ring seal.

Some reading...

Understand Motorcycle Chains @ CyberPoet.Net

Last edited:

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Could you post some pics of the chain? I'd be interested to see just how bad it is or if the dealers is jut trying to pull one over on you. The chain might still be good but just in need of some TLC. I'll normally give my chain lube once a week or once every 500miles but ill give it a bunch of work every 7k or If i start to get kinks which ever comes 1st. I'll get it up on the stand and soak it in kroil (best damn penetrating oil ever, and literally dissolves rust and other grime http://www.kanolabs.com/google/) hit it with the grunge brush soak it again in kroil breaking any other krud loose then "washing" it off with wd40 to get most of the kroil out then finally lubing real heavy with chain lube. It's way over kill and makes a hell of a mess but my last chain made it to 27,000 through rain, mud, sand, wheelies, and a lot of other abuse.

Y

yellowfz

I use Purple Power Citrus Cleaner , and it works great, spray the whole bike down with it and the great thing about using it on the chain is it leaves no residue to mess with your chain lube.
WD40 can leave a residue that can harm the lube or make it not stick well, Purple Power Citrus Cleaner does not, dries residue free. Have used it in automotive for years now, a friend that runs a lawnmower repair shop swears by it as well.
Clean all of your rooms with Purple Power. Link is for Auto/Shop.

Wonder if it is Marthy approved? :D

06330i

@yellow fz, hows that purple power on the orings though? I swear by purple power too, use a bottle of it everytime I do a deck scrub on the boat.

bowie

errr. don't you guys just use Kero and a toothbrush on your chain... ?

I confess to putting it on its stand at least once a fortnight, if not each weekend to clear the curd off it, re-lube it.

It's part of the fun ain't it. you know spending just as much time cleaning it :p