Center Stand

sammy56

So I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the center stand. My quesiton is for anyone who either knows or has one is...
Do the peg feelers hit the ground before the center stand or does the center stand truly sacrifice significant ground clearance? I am obviously hoping it does not sacrifice much clearance if any at all.

LB

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

owldaddy

^^^^^^ What he said. It works. Beats me why they don't include one to begin with.

PF2411

SW-Moto Stand

I really do like mine. I have always had center stands on my bike. It makes working on them so much easier. Keep in mind some stands do limit leaning but not this one as long as you keep the stock exhaust system. The stand wraps around the the lower exhaust can staying up high out of the way. As I mentioned the bike was originally designed with a center stand. I guess Yamaha did not put it on to save cost.

The install took all of 30 minutes. It bolts directly to the unused frame stand mounts. All hardware is included in kit from Twisted Throttle. The picture-gram directions are a bit vague but it is easy to figure out once you look at it for a while. The only challenge is getting the retraction spring on. Twisted Throttle sells a special tool for this. It is expensive at $30 so I skipped it and used a flat blade screwdriver. to leverage the end hook of the spring on the the leg of the stand. It took a half dozen tries. Well worth saving $30!

The item is here at Twisted Throttle website: TwistedThrottle.com : SW-Motech Centerstand (Yamaha FZ6R & XJ6, '09-) - HPS.06.656.10000/B

SW-Moto the maker is a Germany motorcycle accessory company. I have bought stuff from them before for my other bikes. It may be a bit expensive but their products are very well designed and always fit exactly. Sort of you get what you pay for sort of thing.

Hope this helps!!

Fenixgoon

Wow, totally sold. Would make chain maintenance 100x easier (I just roll forward a few feet, clean a section, then roll more).

Deanohh

Wow, totally sold. Would make chain maintenance 100x easier (I just roll forward a few feet, clean a section, then roll more).
Also, when you adjust the chain, you should have the chain at the tightest position (if there is one) and that is a lot easier to find if you can just turn the wheel instead of rolling the bike and trying to feel tightness at the same time. Over time, there will be a place where the chain will be the tightest. If you don't adjust the chain at this position, then as the wheels rotate, the chain will go past a place that is too tight and could become a problem of wear and tear and also you will feel a funny vibration as it rolls past the tight spot.

sammy56

You don't have to worry about that, the center stand doesn't sacrifice ground clearance. I have the SW-Motech TwistedThrottle.com : SW-Motech Centerstand (Yamaha FZ6R & XJ6, '09-) - HPS.06.656.10000/B center stand installed and is worth every penny I spent or every extra pound I haul around.

Also you might find this thread helpful: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/sw-motech-center-stand-installation-how-18180/#post233782
Thanks so much for confirming my ground clearance question for me. That was my only concern as I read the posts on the subject including yours. All the write ups are very clear and your install tutorial is perfect. Thanks again.

LB

sammy56

Okay...I ordered the stand and I can't wait to get it.
I also have a new rear tire on the way. All my "freeway" commuting has worn the tread basically in the middle after only about 5000 miles. Maybe I will hit the twisties more this season. Front tire is still in great shape. I will have a couple to dos in the days ahead.

LB

anson650

Totally cool!
It is one of the negative things I've been concerned about. Now if SSR will just come down on the price of the 2010 that we all know (them and me) is mine.
Anson650

Fenixgoon

got my center stand today!

can someone check the weld lines on their stand to see if all the welds are complete? i got some incomplete filling on the left joint that mates to the bike.

sometimes it's bad to work with metals all day (currently dealing with welding issues of all things, haha...ugh :()

i'm sure it's structurally overkill, but nonetheless....

DragonBlu

Mine is welded up complete. No gaps. If it is only a small gap I wouldn't worry. If you don't think it's right I would send it back.

ajiribarren

I really do like mine. I have always had center stands on my bike. It makes working on them so much easier. Keep in mind some stands do limit leaning but not this one as long as you keep the stock exhaust system.
The only aftermarket exhaust that will let you keep a centerstand in this bike is the Leo Vince Underbody Exhaust. The XJ6S comes fitted with a factory centerstand and that was my only option. No clearance issues nor leaning issues whatsoever.

Fenixgoon

Mine is welded up complete. No gaps. If it is only a small gap I wouldn't worry. If you don't think it's right I would send it back.
i contacted twisted throttle and sent them a few pictures. they are shipping me a new stand and providing a free return shipping label.

getting something good the first time is great, but getting something wrong shows how good a company really is :thumbsup:

can't wait for the new stand :sinister:

cvece

You don't have to worry about that, the center stand doesn't sacrifice ground clearance. I have the SW-Motech TwistedThrottle.com : SW-Motech Centerstand (Yamaha FZ6R & XJ6, '09-) - HPS.06.656.10000/B center stand installed and is worth every penny I spent or every extra pound I haul around.

Also you might find this thread helpful: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/sw-motech-center-stand-installation-how-18180/#post233782
Hey, reading through some threads looking for better install instructions than the provided ones from sw-motech. The link above doesn’t work on my end, is it expired? I’ll likely just go for it, but figured I’d give try to get some clearer direction if possible. Thanks!

Just_Jim

Hey, reading through some threads looking for better install instructions than the provided ones from sw-motech. The link above doesn’t work on my end, is it expired? I’ll likely just go for it, but figured I’d give try to get some clearer direction if possible. Thanks!
The install instructions that come from SW-Motech are pretty clear.

It's an easy install except the two bolts you have to remove to install the spring bracket are a real bitch to get off - they require a lot of heat to get them to break loose.

cvece

Yes, after looking at the instructions for more than a few seconds I figured it out. I couldn’t tell what was what on one of the pictures provided... I won’t completely blame it on the empty bottle of wine in the garage. Thanks for the tip on the bolt removal.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

cvece

I ended up just using a rubber mallet on the Allen key to break the bolt free. I should go back in and put some lock tight, but it’s good for now!

Just_Jim

Glad to hear it wasn't too hard for you to get those bolts out. I think they were installed with red Loctite on my 2013. I tried the rubber mallet method, a big breaker bar, and they won't budge without heat.