Car help

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Kayo7

Its a Stinkin Lincoln of my moms (a Town car she inherited and still uses to run gma to church and stuff).

Her a/c wasn't working, so I opened the hood to see if I could hear the compressor kick on.

I could hear a hissing sound and found a vacuum line with a missing hose on the valve cover/passenger side.

I'm just curious if it might go to the a/c?It was blowing cold air, but a local shop replaced the manifold gasket recently.I'm guessing they forgot to reinstall the hose since its so close to the manifold.

The shop is closed today.So i'm going to take her car back to them and show the missing hose on Monday.I'm just curious where the vacuum line goes, I really hope it went to the a/c (since it isn't working) and not the transmission or something.
Unfortunately, there are no vacuum lines that go to the a/c system. Without seeing the vacuum line that is missing, its hard for anyone to say where it might go. Take as good of a picture as you can and post it up. What year is her town car?

abyss1406

check the compressor, condensor, heat exchanger and thermal expansion valve. try to get a schematic to of the A/C system. if there is a hissing sound most likely its a leak. in that case your going to have to find it, change out that part and repressurize the system.

Rich007

It is helpful to know what year her car is and what kind of system it is R12 or a R134A. Typically if it is R12 then it is going to be very expensive to get it working again but the R134A systems are pretty easy. EVAC and a recharge at a shop is usually around $200 for a R134A system.

The shop that did the intake should have let you know it wasn't working and attempted to upsell you the work.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Andy

Its a Stinkin Lincoln of my moms (a Town car she inherited and still uses to run gma to church and stuff).

Her a/c wasn't working, so I opened the hood to see if I could hear the compressor kick on.

I could hear a hissing sound and found a vacuum line with a missing hose on the valve cover/passenger side.

I'm just curious if it might go to the a/c?It was blowing cold air, but a local shop replaced the manifold gasket recently.I'm guessing they forgot to reinstall the hose since its so close to the manifold.

The vacuum line could posibly go to the hvac contols to move mode doors. Should be easy fix if it was working before manifold repairs. Was the compressor kicking in? In the Truck world hvac system check is around $100

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Rich007

Thats exactly what happened with the vacuum hose, I would have noticed it hissing the last time I checked the oil if it was missing before they repaired the intake manifold.

It has that auto-climate/complicated looking a/c.I think your right on target with the "mode doors" Andy, hopefully lol.
A 97 Town Car will be R134A
It can't be the vac line problem on a 97 Town Car, the blend door is electronic and has nothing to do with vac. The mode doors are vac controlled. They probably forgot to plug something else in, it should be an easy diagnose for anyone that knows anything about A/C systems. The shop that left the vac line off should do it for free, my shop would that I run would.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Rich007

Thanks alot everyone, i'll be able to sleep alot easier now.They probably will fix it for free, they have done a couple nice things in the past.We continued taking the car to the same place my gpa trusted.So i'm sure they don't want to ruin over a decades worth of business.

I mainly just needed to make sure I can afford whatever happens on monday.Good to know its R134A.Earlier I found a do it yourself kit on Harbor Freight for R134A for $25,I'll go ahead and have the shop recharge the ac since the car will be there anyway.But I might try that Harbor Freight stuff on my truck or whatever needs it next.
Don't install the do-yourself A/C kit, A/C systems take a pre determined amount of Freon in order to work properly and there is no way to get the right amount in with one of those kits.
Most customers I get that have used them have put too much in and can render the compressor inoperative. One thing I do like about those kits is that they bring me alot of work.