Can I upgrade my graphics card?

CrazyCawi

I want to be able to play BF3 on pc with good game flow. I HAAAAAAATE choppy game play. I have excellent internet. BF2 played like shit on my pc. What do I need to upgrade in order to make it run smooth?

View attachment 23443

Mr Citrus

The quad core cpu is a plus. Depending on what kind of motherboard you have, I would look into getting a graphics card within the gtx 5xx family
I have a friend who just got this card and loves it Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
I am running the bf3 beta fine with a gtx 460, but it never hurts to be prepared for the future.
edited to add: If anyone else knows good amd cards chime in, I'm no fan boy, I've just never used one

CrazyCawi

what kind of mother board do I have and how do i know? and why does the motherboard affect the graphics card?

I have had built pc's in the past but I bought this from best buy a while back and with this new OS I cant figure any shit out on my hardware other then the pic I pulled up

rjohnson5481

i think the fact that you have 256mb dedicated to video is probably killing you. If you upgrade to a card with more dedicated video memory should do the trick. with all that ram and the quad core i don't see why not. have they put out requirements for BF3?

Mr Citrus

Well, from your picture I'm assuming your motherboard was made this century and is pci e compatible. The type of connection the board allows cards to dock in.
Could you open the side of your pc and tell me how many watts your power supply is?

rjohnson5481

Device manager can help you with exactly what components you have.

CrazyCawi

straight from hp

Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion Bays 3.0 (total) / 2.0 (free) x External - 3.5" x 1/3H,
2.0 (total) / 1.0 (free) x Internal - 5.25" x 1/2H
Expansion Slot(s) 1.0 (total) / 1.0 (free) x PCI Express x16 - DIMM 240-pin,
4.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x Processor - Socket AM2+,
3.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x PCI Express x1,
1.0 (total) / 3.0 (free) x Memory
Interfaces 1.0 x Audio - Generic - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ( 1 in front ),
1.0 x Headphones - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - Mini-phone 3.5 mm ( 1 in front ),
2.0 x Mouse - Line-out (rear) - Mini-phone 3.5 mm ( 2 in front ),
1.0 x Microphone - DVI-Digital - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) ( 1 in front ),
1.0 x Audio - Generic - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ( 1 in front ),
1.0 x Hi-Speed USB - SPDIF output - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style),
1.0 x Audio - Line-out (center/subwoofer) - Mini-phone 3.5 mm,
6.0 x Audio - Line-out - 4 pin USB Type A,
1.0 x Audio - VGA - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1.0 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - Line-in - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1.0 x Keyboard - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm,
1.0 x Audio - Output - RCA,
1.0 x Display / video - Line-out (side surround) - RJ-45,
1.0 x Display / video,
2.0 x Network
Miscellaneous
Features 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
Power
Device Type Power supply
Power Provided 300.0 Watt

Graphics Controller
Type Integrated
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3200
Video Memory 256.0 MB / 3323.0 MB (max)
this is greek to me. I can dominate anyone in a game....but the building of the unit for the game I fail at lol

CrazyCawi

I saw pci-e and power supply=300watt?

CrazyCawi

It looks like you would need a new graphics card, and a new power supply unit. I dont think the 300w will cut it
What would do the trick but not break the bank?

Kdubb223

yfz6r

I believe that laptops do not contain 3300 gfx cards. Your build is all and so get an and card. A 4870 will be enough If on a budget, but for a little more, I highly recommend a 6850 or above. Regardless of what you get, you will need a new power supply.

For a budget, I recommend this

Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I'm pretty sure you have a 790 am2 motherboard. Pop the side cover off and show me a picture.

And do not buy a vid card without upgrading the power supply. Could easily damage the card.

I've been building comps for years and know my sh1t

yfz6r

Also, kdubb, how are you running and crossfire on an intell motherboard? You can only sli. Also, what kind of psu are you using to run quad vid cards? (an 6950 is two declocked 6850's on one board).

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Shuffle_Punch

Newegg is definitely the way to go. I built mine from there at a decent rate..

You can get a pretty good rig built from there for pretty darn cheep, and its like legos to put together ha. Its usually better in the long run to just build new than to upgrade something if it's a good bit out of date...

Usually when I do that I buy a sweeeeet video card and a ton of ram... then within a year decide I need a whole new rig and the new mother board doesnt support whatever I upgraded.. lol

I have:
Intel Core i7.... 2.80
12GB of Ram
2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 465s

amongst other random crap

behindXgrnXeyes

newegg is def the way to go...but before you go out and buy a new graphics card....make sure your motherboard can SUPPORT upgrading. Usually once your motherboard hits a certain age..you can just upgrade things in it anymore because ports and slots upgrade and makes it harder to find an upgraded item that fits the older ports.

Just my 2 cents (all I do is PC game but I can't really read over this thread atm due to being at work. If you interested CC, we can talk after work and I can tell you exactly what you need. if you need my celly...PM me)

Detrich

integrated graphics usually are problematic for games. yah, u'll need a new card prolly... honestly tho, i've moved 95% of my gaming over to the console. reason? it's more affordable and better bang for the buck. it'll cost you around $200 to get a decent, named-brand, video card with any balls. and for just for $100 more, you've got a PS3 that will play all the games and have one of the very best blue ray players on the market etc. it just makes no sense to game on PC's anymore. it's expensive, expensive, and expensive. the only game i play on my MacPro is Starcraft 2. and, even then I barely touch it. just food for thought.

Graphics Controller
Type Integrated
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3200
Video Memory 256.0 MB / 3323.0 MB (max)