Building a Manometer

fltdriver

Instead of spending $50-$100+ on a "carb sync" tool, you can build your own manometer fairly cheaply. I used vacuum resistors to prevent any accidental intake of the measuring fluid into the throttle bodies. What follows is my version of a cheap manometer:

First you will need:
12 x Wood screws-found in garage
12 x Cable clamps-$2 for 18
4 x 3/16" ID tubing (mine are all 6' in length)$0.25 per foot
4 x 3/16" Vacuum resistors (Dormin 47311)-$2.49ea
2 x Eye hooks-found in garage
1 x 3/16" 4-way "T" connector-$1.99 (Dormin 47361)
1 x Piece of wood (mine is roughly 23" x 3")-found in garage
1 x Tape measure or level-found in garage
1 x Rope/String-found in garage
1 x Sharpie-found in kitchen
1 x Screwdriver-found in garage
1 x Lube oil (I used 3-1 oil)..not pictured..for fittings & tubing-found in garage
1 x Container of light-weight oil for measuring fluid-found in garage

Step 1

Apply a drop or two of oil to the barb on the 4-way and insert into one of your tubes. You should have to twist and push to get it on, if it slides on easily you probably wont get a good seal. I did the to in the middle first and then the outside ones last and had no problems with interference.

Step 2

Mounted the 4-way to the piece of wood (manometer from now on) using cable clamps around the two middle barbs.

Then I proceeded to stabalize each piece of tubing to the manometer again using cable clamps.

I used one clamp for the middle two tubes since they are straight. For the two outside ones I used a clamp to bend the tube back onto the manometer and another to run it parallel to the middle ones.

Step 3

Next I marked out 18 equidistant lines along the manometer as reference marks for syncing. I then lubed and insert the vacuum resistors into two of the tubes.

When doing this step if you used vacuum resistors instead of regular male-male fittings make sure that the metal insert is inside the tubing as you don't want to take the chance of it being sucked into your TB.

Step 4

Finish securing the tubing to the manometer at the top with another cable clamp.

Since my manometer is MDF I turned it over and mounted the 2 x eye hooks on the backside because I don't think they would be secure on the end of the manometer. I then tied one end of the string to each eye hook.

You should now have something like this

Step 5

Measure from the 4-way to 1/3 of your reference marks and multiply this by 4, mine was the 6th mark which is exactly 1 foot from the bottom of the 4-way. On one of your tubes without a resistor-measure from the open end and make a mark (mine is 4' from the open end). Drop the marked tube into your container of (unused) light-weight oil. *Note: some people used colored water which is fine...I just don't want to take the chance of some of it getting sucked into the engine* Suck on the other open tube until your oil reaches the mark on the tube, you will probably still have to plug the other hoses, it is okay to get a little extra but shoot for the mark. Remove marked tube from container and allow the oil to settle down and into the other tubes. While you are waiting insert the final two resistors into the open tubes.

Step 6

After all of the air bubbles have evacuated the oil it should be at the same level in all four tubes. You are now ready to sync your throttle bodies.

Total cost was $19.95+tax, would be less than half if you used regular fitting insted of resistors and auto grade 4 way but I was already saving 60%-80% of the cost of purchasing a manufactured one I can afford to err on the side of caution and spend a few extra bucks to insure no possibility of foreign fluids in my fuel injection system.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Stickied. Good job

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

fltdriver

I'm no expert, here... but the outside tubes are longer (on the board) then the inside ones. Your measuring oil is a liquid and will be self-leveling, it appears there will be more oil in the outside tubes then the two inside tubes. Which begs the question as to the accuracy of the outside tubes vs. the inside tubes?? Will they record the same??

The other meters I have seen have all four tubes terminate at the same level without the extra loop on the outside tubes.
There may be more fluid in the tubes but as you said gravity takes effect and levels the fluid in all four so your starting point will be the same in all 4 tubes. As long as it is hanging semi-level all will be well.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

fltdriver

All the tubes are connected so each one is pulling on the full amount of liquid as well as the suction power of the other three. Also the tubes are all 6' long and pulling through the same size resistor. The bottom of the "circuit" is at the same level for all tubes as well (the 4-way)

I'm too tired to argue physics right now. If you are really that conserned about it :google:, search "homemade manometer" or "homemade carb sync" and you will see plenty designed the same way, with either double "F" style or 4-way "T" style fittings. As soon as I hit my 4K mark I will hook it up and 1-2-3-4 then 2-1-4-3 and record it. Or you could

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited:

ChUcK

I was just thinking that if the meter works off of vacuum, and if there is more fluid in the outside tubes, then more vacuum may be required to draw the fluid to the red mark on the board. The question is will it be a "material" amount of difference in vacuum?? If the difference is immaterial then the meter will be fairly accurate.
No, that's not how the physics work out. It's not the amount of liquid in the tube, tube diameter, etc. All that matters is the height of fluid inside the tube. Those tubes could have curly-q's in them and it would still be 100% precise as long as there were no air bubbles in the lines.

The commercially available sync gauges that are not connected at the bottom are actually less accurate than the U-tube manometer shown here. The header at the bottom makes it so. It's more dangerous, though, because a vacuum leak will mean sucking the fluid into one of the cylinders, whereas with 4 individual tubes this will not happen since they are not interconnected.

Precision vs. Risk, and also a price point that you just can't beat. I built a similar one and it cost me maybe 5 bucks, 8 bucks if I had to go and buy tubing, but I already had a bunch laying around. Works great!

fltdriver

I didn't get a chance to record the syncing but I did remember to swap 1234 for 2143 and even did 4321 and all of them registered the same readings. I did this before I adjusted the throttle bodies. Man, those screws are super touchy.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

I personally haven't had the need to build one so I couldn't tell you.

I would like to buildor just buy one though, but later on. Me and my friends will probably go in together on one later this year or early next year so that we can have one for all of our bikes.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

Turns out it was an ignorant question. The vacuum resistor goes on the end of the tube. Once the plugs are removed from the adjustment tubes on the bike, the resistors just plug in, linking the tubes on the Manometer to the tubes on the bike.
very good, thanks for letting us know.

buzzbomb

Elite Member