Bright lights for safety

stevet

I believe safety is the most important mod we can do. Who has installed bright head light bulbs, led tail or turn signals? How did you rate the improvement and where can you get it?
Steve

Spunky99

Roaddawg

If you search, there are quite a few HID mods done here. 99 also did a projector headlight mod. I bought a replacement brighter headlight bulb and adjusted my headlight up a bit. Made a big difference adjusting it up some, just below where the high beam would be. I was having a hard time seeing through curves at night. Also, I noticed people noticed me better as well, especially when splitting traffic.

I also put a couple iron-on reflective stripes down the back of my textile/mesh jacket, since I commute a lot at night. I've been told by friends driving behind me that the stripes are real bright and they could see me very good.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superzoom

Stock headlight

I also found that the stock headlight is dangerously dim. Does anyone else find their headlight to be dim? Or do I just need to adjust the angle? I suspect it might be the angle, because high beam is also useless.

Spunky99

use blue bulbs ONLY IF YOU REALLY DONT WANT TO SEE THE ROAD
A LIGHT BLUE TINT IS GOOD BUT NOT THEM BLUE BULBS :eek::eek::eek::eek:
I'll use them on my truck...I ordered the DDM Tuning 35w H4 6000k HID kit

redwing-2001

Here is something to think about. I have seen this a lot on the road.

Modulators!! A good idea is a bright idea!
I have a headlight and taillight modulator on my other motorcycle. I am considering doing that on the FZ6R. They do make a considerable difference, just don't rely on it. And yes, they (modulators) are legal in the U.S. and they have a sensor that turns off the modulator at night.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Roaddawg

I have a headlight and taillight modulator on my other motorcycle. I am considering doing that on the FZ6R. They do make a considerable difference, just don't rely on it. And yes, they (modulators) are legal in the U.S. and they have a sensor that turns off the modulator at night.
I have some mixed reservations about headlight modulators. I've heard that people (cagers) may think that your giving them a 'courtesy' flash so they go and make their turn or whatnot in front of you, thinking your just being courteous, and I could see that happening. Have you ever experienced that?

ME_with_a_B

I don't particularly care for the modulating headlights, as when I ride in front of someone with one, I find it to be very distracting in my rear-view mirror. That, or I think a cop is following me.

I guess from a "notice me" perspective, they are very effective -- but I still don't like 'em.

WANDERER

If you search, there are quite a few HID mods done here. 99 also did a projector headlight mod. I bought a replacement brighter headlight bulb and adjusted my headlight up a bit. Made a big difference adjusting it up some, just below where the high beam would be. I was having a hard time seeing through curves at night. Also, I noticed people noticed me better as well, especially when splitting traffic.

I also put a couple iron-on reflective stripes down the back of my textile/mesh jacket, since I commute a lot at night. I've been told by friends driving behind me that the stripes are real bright and they could see me very good.
What brand of replacement bulb this?

Roaddawg

What brand of replacement bulb this?
The Sylvania silverstar H4: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H4ST-BP-SilverStar-Performance/dp/B000AM8BN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1279916357&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sylvania H4ST BP SilverStar 60-Watt High Performance Halogen…[/ame]

It's a little bit brighter than stock but not very much. Adjusting the headlight up worked better IMO.

redwing-2001

Yes what makes them legal is the fact that the lights do not turn off but dim and brighten. There are set ups where you connect the brights for modulating and turn off while in ex: traffic light but flipping to the low beams so you don't blind the person in front.

Let me know what kit you find and details on price n such. TY
Dim and brighten is correct (100% to 40%, I believe) I use a Diamond Star from Signal Dynamics. These are wired in and have more features than the ones that are just bulb replacements. All legal ones will have automatic cut-off for night time riding. Price ranges from $50 to $100 depending on features. I am installing a Diamond Star on the FZ6 this weekend and will try to document.

redwing-2001

I have some mixed reservations about headlight modulators. I've heard that people (cagers) may think that your giving them a 'courtesy' flash so they go and make their turn or whatnot in front of you, thinking your just being courteous, and I could see that happening. Have you ever experienced that?
The modulator mondulates too fast for that to be a real problem. I haven't really noticed that, on the contrary, on a regular basis I see people rolling through stop signs and then abruptly stop when they look my way. I have experienced a few people pull over. I have also experience people flashing their lights at me - I guess they think something is wrong with my lights. I have also had people ask "do you know your lights are flashing?". I just smile and say it is a safety feature.