Bridgestone BT016?

pyrocpu

Kinda surprised no one's running the Bridgestone BT016 tires... anybody?
My dealer's selling for $210/set (+ tax) then either another $60 (+tax) for mounting/balancing if I bring the wheels in myself, or $110 (+tax) if I just ride the bike down there and hang out for a bit while they mount/balance them.

I was tempted by saving the $50 and dismounting the wheels myself, but then I'd be out a garage spot to do it with the way my garage is configured, plus the general PITA of having to do everything myself. Getting more and more lazy these days. Besides, I kinda wanted to take the VFR1200Fs they have on clearance at the dealer... :)

I figured for $350 OTD, ride in, ride out, it wouldn't be so bad...

Thoughts on the BT016? They wouldn't be the new BT016 Pros since they're not offered in our 160mm RR tire size

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

b_who

i Just bought them and had them installed friday but i haven't had a chance to scrub them in so ill let you u know
I'm going out for a ride tomorrow so hopefully i'll have some input soon

i have a friend i work with and he loved them on 07 GSXR

heres a review on them that lead to me buying them.
Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 Tire Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA

Heres video of there 2010 tire comparison
2010 Street Motorcycle Tire Comparison Video - Motorcycle Video - Motorcycle USA

And heres a paragraph of there article on what they thought of them

"Flat out, the BT-016s are one of the best street tires on the market today. Besides their slightly high price it’s hard to find any faults with this tire. It reaches operating temperature quickly, offers fantastic grip, feel and stability at all points through a turn."

And heres what the test rider said about them
RIDER NOTES:

“These tires are without question the best in B Group. Heat-up time is outstanding as is rear traction at all lean angles. You have to try to get the rear tire to spin on these things—unbelievable. Plus, traction is consistent and never changes as the tires get hot. It is almost absurd that a mid-range street tire can serve up this level of performance. Turn-in is very neutral feeling and predicable much like the Rosso and Power. Stability was also at a high level. These are one of the best tires I’ve ever ridden on.”

hope this helps:thumbup:

pyrocpu

Thanks for the useful input. I'm a bit concerned about tire wear. Other riders here seem to average around 8000mi per set of tires. I'm at 4900mi right now and it's already starting looking like I need new rubber within 500-1000 mi at most! I'm a lot lighter than most riders, nor do I drag knee/pegs or anything like that. Tires always inflated properly. Front/rear wear is somewhat even.

Only concern I have with the BT023 is potential squirm: aren't they very similar to the OE BT021?

Riding style here is quite conservative. No canyons here, but I want to have the CONFIDENCE to get lean the bike over--which I don't feel confident about the stock tires anymore.

JonKerr

Elite Member

pyrocpu

Thanks Jon. Hmm. Sounds like then the BT023 is the best of both worlds then, yea?
I'll see if my dealer can get me the 023s for $210/set as well!

Of course, the next question would be then... Michelin Pilot Powers, 2CTs, or Pilot Road 2/3s?

CrazyCawi

PIlot road 3's. All day long. 1k miles on mine...doesnt even have any sign of wear. They honest to god look brand new. Traction is IMPECABLE! Read my review on them!

b_who

So I put 387 miles on them today, about 55 on the freeway and the rest in the canyons.

Gotta say these tires stick like glue :thumbup:. There defiantly for more super sports and track riding because they are designed to have a big contact patch at extreme lean angles as today i scraped my pegs a few time and still have lil more then half an inch chicken strip
But like u said how you use them to commute and don't go for rides in canyons or anything id say go with a sport tour style tire were the center tread will last a lot longer because these tires are incredibly soft even though the center tread is harder it still is quite soft IMO

so I'd go with jonkerr's advice and get the 023's or another good Sport-touring tire

Hellgate

016s are great tires, probably not for the commuter or touring rider.

My current favorite sport tire is the Dunlop Q2. An amazing tire. Warms up very fast, sticks like glue. I've got three track days out of my current set, about 450 miles and I think I've got maybe two more track days left in them. Of course on the street you'd get many more miles.

My current street tires are PR2, with the new PR3 I think I'd go that route.

pyrocpu

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. With my type of riding, it really does seem like I ought to look at either the Pilot Road 2s or 3s, the BT023s, or the Q2.

I'll see what the price the dealer can get me, and then we'll go from there. Right now, with price not being an object, I'm leaning towards the BT023s. I still have 2/32" ABOVE the wear bars (in the area with the most wear: the dead middle of the tire), so I may have a bit of time...

Thanks again!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member