Break In Period

porky45

hey guys...and girls...

so my bike is in the shop for it's first service (about 615 miles on it) and I was wondering when I can start to push it. The dealer said to stay under 6k on the tach until it's broken in and I've heard that our bikes "take off" at about 8k.

So - how many miles were on your bike before you decided to really push it?

- Aaron

cbzdel

You can push it from day one, just just beifely.. Check out the manual there is a top average RPM from 0-600 miles and one from 600-1000.. Then after 1000 its on. I have a pic of 1001 miles on it and I am at 120 haha!

porky45

anyone have their manual with them that would like to post that range right now?!?! lol.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Stay below 5800 rpm for the first 600 miles. Then stay below 7000 rpm between 601-1000 miles.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't take the engine above 7000 before you hit 1000 miles. They just don't want you staying at that rpm for prolonged periods. So ride it like you stole it!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Verranth

I did a hybrid of what everyone said. I generally took it easy and did it by the manual, but after 600 miles, I passed the 7K for brief periods of time. After 1000, you are all set, you can be just shy of the red line all day if you want to...(though, it may be slightly illegal or less fun) Heck, since its been kinda cold, I've been doing 3rd gear on the highways just so the motor could get past 190 degrees F.

I really need to get glove liners and pants. I did however, get a neck / helmet liner thingy.

mchury

i was friends wit the guy that owned the dealer that i bout my bike at and i asked him right b4 i pulled out of the lot about a break in period. he looked at me and said the best thing u can do is ride this bike like u are gonna ride it all the time. thats the best way to break it in. i left the parking lot and didnt leave the throttle back till 133 mph and i honestly have had no problems wit my bike whatsoever. i have 3300 miles hard miles on it and it still runs strong.

janea

break-in period

so, i'm hoping insurance people don't access this website. . . :) just so my insurance person knows, we aren't all riding this bike in the three-digit speed zone! :D

porky45

haha. well i'm past the 1k mark now so i guess there's no looking back. riding is soo much fun. I'm so glad I got this bike!

zig308

After I read some info here... I said screw the break-in period. :D I'm at about 140 miles now, but have had it up just over 9k rpm several times and used lots of engine braking within my newb abilities.

Just changed the oil at about 125 miles and will keep running it hard and change the oil again either at 650 miles or in a few months, whatever comes first.

ramflyer1899

After I read some info here... I said screw the break-in period. :D I'm at about 140 miles now, but have had it up just over 9k rpm several times and used lots of engine braking within my newb abilities.

Just changed the oil at about 125 miles and will keep running it hard and change the oil again either at 650 miles or in a few months, whatever comes first.
What's with all the "early" oil changes? Just wondering...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
What's with all the "early" oil changes? Just wondering...
It flushes the oil early during break-in to reduce the amount and duration that metal shavings are present.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Meh...it's all personal preference. :thumbup:

cbzdel

It flushes the oil early during break-in to reduce the amount and duration that metal shavings are present.
thats what the oil filter is for :D

personally I think the additives in break in oil should be present for the period that the manual says.. remember Yamaha would not lie, they have warranty claims and their reputation on the line..

mchury

thats what the oil filter is for :D

personally I think the additives in break in oil should be present for the period that the manual says.. remember Yamaha would not lie, they have warranty claims and their reputation on the line..
i dont know bout the rest of you but i couldnt do the break in. thing i got on it and had to rip. lol i have been rippin ever since and i am at 3200 or so miles goin strong

findmadhav

Break in Progress

Got the bike with 3 miles on it. Was sitting in this guy's garage for over an year. Got the oil change done yesterday and took it out for a ride today. 115 miles on the odo now :) The wifey is absolutely in love with the bike. What an experience!!

Yamaha for life and FZ6R for ever :) Waiting to get past the 600 mile mark soon .....:thumbup:

rjohnson5481

Good fun man. Congrats:thumbup: