Battery life

Alex6

Left my bike's key in the ignition and forgot to turn it off. Came back after a few hours and the battery is dead.
I connected it to the battery tender it is sitting with it for a day and a half, still in red. Did not try to start yet.

Did I kill the battery, shortened its life, or nothing to worry about?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Kayo7

it could be any of those 3. only way to find out it to take it to an auto parts store have it charged and tested.
Quality automotive repair shops (Like mine of course) will do that as well for no cost. :D

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Alex6

This was my 1st time I drained the battery and it sitting now on the Jr. tender. I heard that the Jr. will not cut it and it needs a regular charger to revive the battery.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

Is this the first time you have done this to your battery?
If it is the 2nd/3rd+ time, then your battery is probably dead.

If it is only your first time you are probably good, but I have bad news for you.

Do you have the Battery tender Jr, or the Full size one? full size will cut the time by about 25-30%.

Contrary to what you read about charge rates, that isnt really accurate. I fried my old battery doing that but it was over a whole weekend. It was an 09 battery so I gave up and got a new one. Then like a idiot I did it again but it was only for about 3 hours before I caught it again. The battery was dead but hooked it up to the tender and made sure ALL Aux type things were turned off. It took about 1-2 days to get a weak light on the dash but I think diagnostics did not work. I think it actually took about 4-5 days before I was able to start the bike, then I rode it in 6k+ revs for my next whole ride to help the charging.

$80+ for new battery, or hold off for another day or two and see if you can get anything.

GOOD LUCK!!
Not for nothing but I have a friend that has killed his battery a number of times, probably 10 times or better. He's not the brightest bulb in the box... lol.

but yeah, all you really need to do to fix a battery that wont charge is to get it to heat up nicely and it will take the scale (sulfate buildup) off the battery internals allowing it to take a charge again. You can also get away with just changing the electrolytes. Just some new acid and you are good. I keep a container of battery acid around for those times that I need it.

As for the heating method. All you need to do is hook it to your car and charge it up. Run the car at about couple grand to give a nice healthy charge rate and that should be enough for most car systems to be able to generate a decent amount of heat in the battery to break up the scale in the battery.

There are some battery chargers out there that have a specific feature just for this and they will extend the life of a battery considerably. I have that I hook to my car battery every couple months and I've been using one of these types of chargers on my bikes for the last 10+ years. It's helped me to extend the life of my car batteries from the typical 3 years in Florida to 6-7 years in Florida. I didn't have to replace the battery in my S10 until I had it for 6.5 years. I've also been hooking this charger to my fathers truck periodically and my mothers as well. My father was able to wait 7 years for his truck battery and my mother's is now working on 6 years with the same battery.

Treat your batteries right and you will have them last a rather long time.