Bad vibrations

tnd2

We just got back from a weekend ride, just over 5 hrs each way for a total of about 675 miles. First big trip for my girl on her Spyder, and the FZ6R got its first trip checked off. (total 1482 miles on the clock)

I was really hoping the FZ6R would make a great looking lightweight touring bike, but after the torture it gave me this weekend i'm beginning to doubt my decision.

The bikes current setup:
Driven Grippy grips
Throttle Meister throttle lock, the heavy model to add some weight to help cancel vibes
Throttle rocker
Givi V35 bags
Everything else is stock

Me:
I've ridden street since 99, touring bikes to dual sports. Not a brag, but just to qualify my seat time my longest ride was my IBA Bun Burner-1500 miles in under 36 hours on BMW K1200RS. So seat time hasn't been a problem until now.

This bike has to be the worst I have ever ridden vibration wise, my last bike was a BUELL, it would scorch your leg, shake your lunch out at idle, but as smooth as glass at speed. I even had a trip on a 650cc thumper on knobbys that racked up over 500 miles in a day that was less painfull than this past weekend.

I took the bike in for its 600 mile service prior to leaving this weekend, and mentioned the vibrations with a request to check the throttles to insure they are synched. One of the mechanics had a FZ6R and took my bike out noting everything was good to go.

Short of loosing my butt and moving on from a bike I really like what can I do? I heard the +1 front sprocket swap helps, but will it make that much of a difference? Any other mods out there that return major results?

DragonBlu

I did the plus one front sprocket and I cruise at 6 grand on the level in 5th or 6th depending on the speed. I don't have any vibration problems. The only time it had a bad vibration was when the throddle bodies needed syncing. If I run it in the 6500 to 7000rpm range there is vibration which I think is common to this bike. Above seven grand it smooths out again. :confused:

tnd2

I did the plus one front sprocket and I cruise at 6 grand on the level in 5th or 6th depending on the speed. I don't have any vibration problems. The only time it had a bad vibration was when the throddle bodies needed syncing. If I run it in the 6500 to 7000rpm range there is vibration which I think is common to this bike. Above seven grand it smooths out again. :confused:
At about 5200 it vibrates thru the bars enough to be numbing in 15min or so, at 6000 the pegs and seat join in, at 8000 the pegs and seat started to ease off but the bars don't.

RoadTrip

the FZ6R is a bit buzzy, but I ride up to 8hrs in a day, and have not had any particular issue - silky smooth would be nice, but I don't really give it that much thought anymore, guess I have just gotten used to it.

Maybe ride someone elses FZ6R for comparison if you get a chance, that may give you a better idea if there is actually an issue with your bike.

JSP

Super Moderator
I never had any vibration issues at all when I had it... 8 + hour rides on it with or without my wife on the back. Was always smooth. Ride an R6 now and no issues there either.

Something must be causing your bad vibes. I dont think that much vibration is normal.

CrazyCawi

Mine vibrated just the same and ita so fatiguing

Hoops 09Raven

i have to agree with the vibes on this bike. i went just 80miles on her today one way and crikey did my ass fall asleep, my hands fell asleep i dont know how many times, but was way uncomfortable. i cant imagine riding any longer than that. my ride is all stock.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

dndfindley

Which Spyder does your girl have, RS or RT? Have you ridden it? As to your vibration problem: My FZ is stock and I don't have any. My only complaints are that the seat gets too hot in summer and there isn't enough padding there. Extra padding might solve both problems for me. I'm getting used to it however. Had a Spyder RS before this one and as you know it's seat is wide, thick and soft. David

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

bigddy263

I have the +1 up front and I like it. If you plan to do any more rides I would seriously consider it. I don't remember my bike vibrating that badly before the sprocket change though. I got about a 500 rpm decrease at highway speeds with the new sprocket. Good luck to you, I have 2600 miles on mine since Mar and I like it more every day, I hope you can get yours sorted out.

tnd2

Which Spyder does your girl have, RS or RT? Have you ridden it? As to your vibration problem: My FZ is stock and I don't have any. My only complaints are that the seat gets too hot in summer and there isn't enough padding there. Extra padding might solve both problems for me. I'm getting used to it however. Had a Spyder RS before this one and as you know it's seat is wide, thick and soft. David
She has the 09 RS factory Phantom, picked it up from a HD dealer that took it in on trade. Fun bike, and with the Can Am performance exhaust she upstages me anytime we're running together!

tnd2

Changing handlebars for Renthal thick wall aluminum got things a bit better... I use 17/44 gear combo now I had 16/38 before. (Perfect for all day cruise in my own opinion... 6K @ 80MPH) Now I rev about 6600 at 80MPH... Stock is 16/46 ratio
I ordered a 17 tooth this morning, and plan on checking the throttle sync this coming weekend. Hope that does it.

Although if the Renthal's kill some buzzing and come with a bonus of looking great, I may need to make another order.

dndfindley

She has the 09 RS factory Phantom, picked it up from a HD dealer that took it in on trade. Fun bike, and with the Can Am performance exhaust she upstages me anytime we're running together!
Awesome color combination. She's always going to upstage you as long as she rides the Spyder. To most people on the street a motorcycle is a motorcycle, they've seen thousands...but they have never seen a Spyder up close. Even other motorcyclists have become jaded to most bikes. Ride an FZ6R? Just another sportbike. And Harley's, forget about it. A Spyder, any flavor, is an attention getter. If you're an introvert you'll hate it - an extrovert and you're in heaven:) David

2wheelie

I do use it as a light sport/tourer. Normal size tourers are too bulky and heavy for me. No vibrations with exception of 6-7k (which is manageable although it didn't happen before 13k).
It would be nice if it had additional 15-20 hp for highway’s pull, but hey, it is still a good all-around bike.

Attachments

tnd2

I do use it as a light sport/tourer. Normal size tourers are too bulky and heavy for me. No vibrations with exception of 6-7k (which is manageable although it didn't happen before 13k).
It would be nice if it had additional 15-20 hp for highway’s pull, but hey, it is still a good all-around bike.
Somewhat off topic, but I guess it is my thread:thumbup:
I've toured on a 1150 Duel Sport-100hp/600# loaded, 1200 Sport Tourer-130hp/600# loaded, 1200 Touring- 100hp/800#+ loaded, and a few other toys in between. The most fun was lighter lower hp bikes that required effort to hustle the back roads at or near legal limits. The big bikes were great on the open road, and even fun on the back roads but I wanted both, so I grabbed the FZ6R(beginners bike) and started the mods...

This vibration issue is now my challenge to having my near perfect bike. (Will there ever be a perfect bike?)

bigddy263

Somewhat off topic, but I guess it is my thread:thumbup:
I've toured on a 1150 Duel Sport-100hp/600# loaded, 1200 Sport Tourer-130hp/600# loaded, 1200 Touring- 100hp/800#+ loaded, and a few other toys in between. The most fun was lighter lower hp bikes that required effort to hustle the back roads at or near legal limits. The big bikes were great on the open road, and even fun on the back roads but I wanted both, so I grabbed the FZ6R(beginners bike) and started the mods...

This vibration issue is now my challenge to having my near perfect bike. (Will there ever be a perfect bike?)
I like where you are going with this tnd. I bought mine as an upgrade from my old shadow, but now I think it is going to be a nice all arounder. I really wanted a BMW f800st, but I got a deal on my yammy, so I paid half as much. Going for a 500 mile ride tomorrow so I should be able to tell if this is the one for long term, or if I'll trade her in on the Beemer some day.

CDN6R

The funny thing about my 6R was that my right hand was always falling asleep. But when I removed my bar-end weights and installed a set of bar -end mirrors (left the bar-end weights off) my hand stopped going to sleep. Pic is of the same mirrors I have,,but the bike is not a FZ6R

Attachments

bobski

That is very cool CDN6R . . can you provide details on the bar end mirrors please (brand, where purchased, cost). My right hand is always falling asleep on longer rides and I have the same issue with many in seeing directly behind me with the stock mirrors . . so your solution might address both of those issues for me with one simple mod? I just installed a pair of ProGrip 714 gel grips and will test ride them today and will post results in reducing hand vibes. Cheers.