Are you riding safe? Take this quiz!!

roadrat

Fellow 6r Riders! This quiz came from the book Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is based on various sources of compiled US statistics. It is very subjective, but still fun to take. A score of 85 or higher and you’re managing risk very well. 40 or lower and you may want to take a closer look at how you are managing risk when you ride. I scored a 53 - probably need to beef up my safety efforts a bit, lol. :eek:

GOOD LUCK AMIGOS!!! :steve:

Motorcycle Safety Quiz (Tally the points)
1. Have Motorcycle license 10
2. Commercial driving license 5
3. Learner’s permit, no license 2
4. License revoked -10
5. No motorcycle license -10
6. Less than 6 months experience -2
7. 25 to 36 months experience 5
8. More than 48 months experience 8
9. Taught by friends/family -2
10. Learned by self -2
11. Passed novice training course 10
12. Passed additional course 8
13. No training within last 5 years -5
14. Sometimes ride after drinking -20
15. Never ride after drinking 20
16. Often ride in city traffic -5
17. Mostly ride 250 to 600cc -2
18. Mostly ride 750cc or larger 2
19. Can name 20 surface hazards 5
20. Know best way to cross edge traps 5
21. Practiced quick stops this year 5
22. Not practiced quick stops this year -5
23. Frequently use countersteering 5
24. What’s countersteering? -5
25. Age between 20-29 -5
26. Age 49 or older 5
27. Always wear armored gear 5
28. Usually wear only denims -5
29. Always wear full coverage helmet 5
30. Seldom wear approved helmet -5

JonKerr

Elite Member

gregarmer

I got 58. Unfortunately the things I need to change are getting older, getting more experience and not riding in the city, which are not easily resolved :p

roadrat

I scored a 75. I'm not understanding why they knock you off 2 points for riding a bike 600cc and smaller and add 2 for a bigger bike. Kind of the exact opposite IMO.
I know that's weird huh?! The stats go all the way back to the 70s, when more experienced riders moved up through the CCs more slowly. There has been a steady trend of higher displacement bikes being in fatal accidents but it is also mirroring current buying trends toward higher CC bikes. Another thing to consider is that displacement is not necessarily indicative of fast acceleration and high top speeds. We are seeing more 600cc+ super sportbikes capable of 120 mph quarters while there are many heavyweight cruisers in the 1000cc plus class with top speeds of less than 100 mph.

BoneJj

I could be a 40 or an 80.... It all depends on what is viewed as drinking.... lol. I never have more than 3 beers when out on the bike but I do know that I never go near a .08.

We did some testing when I was in the military at to what it took for various size people to get "drunk" enough for a DUI, 3 beers only put me to .04-.06 depending on how fast I drank them. Makes me an expensive date.... lol.

JonKerr

Elite Member

BoneJj

Me personally, any alcohol is too much when you're on a bike. I refuse to have any and I refuse to ride with anyone who does have any. I don't even take my pain medication for my neck when I'm going to be out riding.
That's what I don't get. There are a few that I know that say this very same thing but when we all go out they have more to drink than I do and still get on their bikes... lol.

not saying that's you but I see it a lot. I've always made it a point to enjoy my couple of beers before and during dinner then the last couple of hours just drink water. Too many people out there like to drink all night and then get on their bikes. I normally just wait until they are long gone and I've even gone and sat down for a while to talk with other friends before leaving to stay away from them.

I kind of understand your line of thinking to a degree but I also think you might be taking it a little on the extreme side of things. You know full well who among your friends is the idiot and shouldn't go anywhere but home to have a drink and you know who are the responsible ones. At least that's how it is for me....

roadrat

Here's a direct quote from the book, based in stats from the Insurance Information Institute:

"The numbers are embarrassing proof that motorcyclists abuse alcohol more than other road users do.... drinking riders represent over 40 percent of all motorcycle fatalities."

That's probably why the quiz makes riding after drinking a -20.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

i think i scored 63... i just assumed i can name about 10 or more road hazards. naming 20 off the top would be, fishing...

roadrat

i think i scored 63... i just assumed i can name about 10 or more road hazards. naming 20 off the top would be, fishing...
I was the same way Detrich... after I named gravel, oil, potholes, ice, wet lane markings, etc. I started with deer, raccoons, coyotes, etc... and finally duckbill platypus. ;). So I gave myself the points. I think it's a useful exercise to anticipate every conceivable hazard how to deal with it.

JSP

Super Moderator
To me it's just different being on a bike as opposed to a car. I'm not a beer drinker. I'm not much of a drinker at all to be honest. (I take too many medications to really drink on a regular basis) But when I do drink, it's usually whiskey. I'll admit I'll drive my car shortly after having one drink and I'll drive hours later after having multiple drinks. But to me being on a bike is already a dangerous activity inherently. One drink does effect your judgement. And it's just not worth it to me to do anything that's going to dull my reactions. Even medications. I usually take 2-3 Norco (basically extra strength vicodin) a day for my neck. This is a large part of the reason I don't commute on my bike anymore. I'm not effected by pain meds like a lot of people, that much hydrocodone would have most people passed out and drooling. But I've been on it so long I don't get a buzz at all. But it does effect my reactions slightly, which is why I try and time when I take it to be as long before I have to drive home from work. But if I'm going out riding, at most I'll take 800mg of Advil while I'm out on the bike and that's if I'm in so much pain that it could be effecting my concentration. When I get home from a long 200+ mile ride, I'm usually pretty damn sore. But I just learned to deal with it.

We were on a group ride shortly after I started riding and saw 2 riders order a couple of beers each when we got the the Mexican place where we all ate at Borrego Springs. Guess what 2 riders went down on the ride back to town out of 40 riders.
Bike is 0 drinking, absolutely no drinking if on the bike. There is no room for error and your judgement needs to be absolutely 100%. Just because you are not .08 does not mean you are not impaired and have lost judgement/reaction time.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

roadrat

On the quiz - does naming all of the car/SUV models that come at me when I ride count for "Can name 20 surface hazards"??
YES! :D Especially Escalades with the spinning chrome rims and Priuses in the fast lane.

iSpoolin

I got a 63, however I don't get the taking points off for riding a 600, and for being 20-29 years old....

b_who

Got 56 here:zombie:

FitZ6R

Well, that was somewhat interesting.

I got a 63.5 (giving myself partial credit for making stuff up on the road hazards). Most of my points lost were in the area of training, which is very valid, since I took the MSF beginner course 20 ys ago.

WTF are edge traps?