Are we ever going to get a updated FZ6R?

Nmexico

2016? Is this year the final production year for our bike? 2015 was the 1st year that the FZ only had one color choice. I'm thinking its gone because Yamaha will make a fully faired FZ07 next year. What's your guess?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

AL72

I4 rules! There is no replacement for its sound. (with the exception of the Yamaha "Crossplane" engine, I don't like its music :D )

Regards!

Nmexico

I rode the FZ09 at a demo before. Was not into that triple sound that much. Its neither completely smooth or with a deep sound like a Vtwin. Too much of not anything to me.
The FZ6R has a great sound even stock to me. I'm a stock exhaust kind of guy anyway. Never one for aftermarket pipes. 99% of them too loud.

xorbe

I got the FZ6R because there is no faired FZ-07, and also all the chit-chat about the touchy throttle, mid-corner throttle adjustment difficulty, etc. But I could use the 397 lbs weight of the FZ-07. Would miss the 4-cyl sound.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

arocholl

I really hope that's not the case (although I think it's inevitable). Twins lack the smoothness and soul of an inline 4. The inline 4 is one of the reasons I bought the FZ6R over the competition.

-Uncle Al

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

UncleHilty

30 years from now when you open up your new issue of Motorcycle Classics magazine you will find an article on the FZ and it will sing its praises of what a great all a rounder this bike was. All bikes stop production but some never die. Long live the 6R!

Motomama

The FZ6R is amazing bike. For me, it does everything. I m in the motorcycles industry. Worked at BMW Motorcycles dealer, didn't upgrade. Why? I ride with the GSs guy and gals that have S1000r. We ride on some awful bumpy roads and I m right there with my friends that rides GSs. I m right there behind my gfriend that ride s1000r on the twities. Taken 6R out on the track three times. This bike does everything! Low maintenance! Looks amazing! God willing, my goal is to hit 10000 miles with this bike. After 2 years and 1 month, it has 27,500 and continue.

J

JohnnyWatts

Let's be honest here. The FZ6R is a pretty boring bike. Yes, it's lovable, and it's a great starter bike with more than sufficient power. But it's heavy, and it rides pretty dull. That's why lots of us turn it into an economy sport touring bike.

So given the above, I won't be surprised if Yamaha is killing the FZ6R. There are better bikes out there. The new R3 is great too.

Furthermore, the rest of the world isn't like the USA. You can't just get your license and go out and buy a 600cc. You have to work your way up the classes.

e.g., where I was born (Malaysia), you were allowed a maximum of 250cc with a B2 license (the entry level license). To get the license for a 600cc (and above), you need a B-Full license, which is more time consuming and expensive. Something like a solid week of learning/testing.

So it's a bike that's not very viable as an entry level bike internationally. So they can't exactly market it as a beginner's bike. When you get to the B-Full level, you might as well buy an R6.

Thus, speaking from a market perspective, the FZ6R is dead in the water.

Nmexico

Let's be honest here. The FZ6R is a pretty boring bike. Yes, it's lovable, and it's a great starter bike with more than sufficient power. But it's heavy, and it rides pretty dull. That's why lots of us turn it into an economy sport touring bike.

So given the above, I won't be surprised if Yamaha is killing the FZ6R. There are better bikes out there. The new R3 is great too.

Furthermore, the rest of the world isn't like the USA. You can't just get your license and go out and buy a 600cc. You have to work your way up the classes.

e.g., where I was born (Malaysia), you were allowed a maximum of 250cc with a B2 license (the entry level license). To get the license for a 600cc (and above), you need a B-Full license, which is more time consuming and expensive. Something like a solid week of learning/testing.

So it's a bike that's not very viable as an entry level bike internationally. So they can't exactly market it as a beginner's bike. When you get to the B-Full level, you might as well buy an R6.

Thus, speaking from a market perspective, the FZ6R is dead in the water.
I might add a R3 for the exciting part later on as I see more fun out of handling that pure straight speed with something like a GSXR600, CBR600RR. I don't want to part with the FZ as I think the 600CC motor in it is pretty sweet. A little of everything as smooth as ice.

chopper71

Coming off a 2014 CBR600RR was a tough one to do. I loved that bike but the riding position was killing me. Being 44 years old with a leg disability made riding it very uncomfortable. Do I regret trading it for my 6R ? yes and no.

My 6R does lack the power for me on the interstate. Like today I kept wanting to hit another gear that just was not there.
My FZ1 had the power I needed and if I had the chance I would have traded the CBR for one instead of the 6R. For now I'm happy with it but I know the time will come for something bigger.

buzzbomb

Elite Member