Anybody know anything about topgearleather.com ?

Michael Wilson

I used leatherup.com kind slow shipping (took week and a half to get here) :( but other then that prices were good.

dhewitt88

Correct me if I'm wrong but it just seems like off-brand stuff, which could explain the price. I'd compare the leather thickness with the higher priced items and try to find reviews from other sites on that gear. Might be cheap but if it's not quality gear it won't do you any good.

Michael Wilson

Correct me if I'm wrong but it just seems like off-brand stuff, which could explain the price. I'd compare the leather thickness with the higher priced items and try to find reviews from other sites on that gear. Might be cheap but if it's not quality gear it won't do you any good.
:thumbup: Agreed! My personal favorite gear is "Joe Rocket" check it out and see what you think!

Soapartist

Depends on what you're looking at, and what kind of riding you do.
You kind of have to read through the description for the leather thicknesses. The particular pants I was looking at from leatherup, compared with an equivalent of Icons, both were 1.5 mil leather, so I bought the ones from leatherup for a 3rd of the cost, and I love 'em.
Most of the 1 piece suits (alpinestar, joe rocket, AGV sport, speed and strength, scorpion) are all made with 1.2-1.4 leather. The details of vents, type of armor, and other features may be what determines what someone buys too.

Detrich

I think the original poster is asking about "Top Gear Leather" and not "Leather Up." 2 completely different companies...

Top Gear Leather makes a house brand called Perinni, I believe. There's a couple guys at our bike meets that have Perinni leather jackets & suits. I've seen the leather jacket in person, and it looks decent, but more of a coarse leather, as opposed to the soft, supple, refined texture of say, A☆ or Dainese...

Haven't seen the suit in person, but from the photos they look more like a budget suit. They do offer a $ back guarantee if you don't like it.

But, for $300, I'd rather get a Fieldsheer or close-out A☆, Frank Thomas (Cycle Gear house brand), or other named brand suit...

Just my .02...

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

anyone ever try these since it was last discussed?

Spunky99

I have bought several items from jackets4bikes.com and they are made in Pakistan.
The fit and finish has greatly improved over the last year.

Most of the items are 2 piece suits with the exception of one all black one piece suit.

Email them and find out where they are made. pakistan is fine but I'd be very wary of China or Vietnam.....Indonesia is good for leather too.

Detrich

their web site says they offer a money back guarantee on some items. for $300, i guess u could always consider trying it out and return if u end up not liking it? ($20 shipping?) there's a guy, Leo, in one of the riding groups i used to ride with that wears a black Perrini jacket with his Kawa ZX1400. and, it looks decent. his is more of a cruiser type jacket leather and not the soft grain u get with a Dainese or Alpinestars sport jacket.

the truth is, all the budget brands are made in Asia anyways. some better, some worse. (lotta the big name brands too.) it all depends what the end game is. my philosophy is something is better than nothing, and upgrading is persistent part of riding. if u r considering the Perrini suit, i would look at it as a "stepping stone gear"- ie meaning it's prolly ok for a starter suit, but that eventually down the road u'll want get something better when u have the money. it all depends what ur timeline is... when i first started riding, i bought an entry-level 2-pc Fieldsheer suit for $300 to wear for canyons. i eventually sold just about most of my starter gear, but i kept this suit because i can still wear the jacket by itself. so, it wasn't a total loss.

the other option is just to wait and save up for a really nice custom suit to color-match your bike, i highly recommend Pilot Leathers. PILOT - Custom leather suits, jackets and pants for $900 - $1200, you can get basically anything u want. and, the quality is equal if not better than any off-the rack, high-end Alpinestars or Dianese stuff. lotta AMA racers are sponsored by Pilot. their turn-around time is fairly quick,