Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

when u say slow, what type of files & size/ throughput figures are u getting? and,
what RPM are your SATA drives? if they are fast drives & on a robust NAS, then im not sure that changing from a RAID5 to a RAID10 will yield earth-shattering gains. have you looked at the resource utilization on your ESXi host box and optimized that? (swap files, # of hosts etc.) and, is your host adequately sized?

we use a SAN (via iSCSI) to store our ESX VMS, and generally don't have any issue. but, we have 5 hosts running on really high-end dell servers server up 50-60 hosts of all flavors (linux, windows etc.) and don't seem to have any problems.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Detrich

my coworker recently copied a disk image on our network from a nas to the san, and 136gb took about 4 hours... surprisingly. so, maybe your home speeds are not quite as bad as previously thought?

hmm... just as a test, did you try copying files from a workstation or notebook over the network directly to the nas? that might shed some light where the bottleneck is- since it removes the esx host out of the picture. a 100mb file should copy in about/ under 10 seconds. then, try larger files, like maybe a 2 or 3gb disk image, and that should only copy in a matter of minutes. if these copies go fast, then maybe it's the esx host slowing things down? but, if they also copy slow, then it could be either the network or the nas...

i have a cheap, consumer-grade nas device at home running on a 100baset link speeds. and, it copies kinda slow too. 100gb would for sure take a few hours. but, i'm also using smb protocol which isn't the fastest. but, copy speeds also depend on the number of files and the size of files. if it's a gazllion small files, then it always copies significantly slower, whereas if it's a smaller number of large files it copies noticeably faster.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

toddjcruz

Don't bother with changing the array, that won't be your problem. You major limitation here is your network.

As you are running TCP/IP (easy guess) you are only going to get around 25-35% utilization out of your network. Granted, RAID10 would improve your disk performance and if your RAID card does not support enhanced RAID5 opertations (battery backed write cache usually required for this), the RAID10 will solve some of that, but not the overall performance issue.

1st thing I would do is enable jumbo frames on your switch and both boxes (ESXi and your NAS). This will allow you to improve your network performance considerably. I would also switch to iSCSI rather than NFS if you can, as block level commands will yield better performance than NFS will. Although I don't think ESXi support iScsi, that may be a licensed feature.

Regardless, you can verify this by monitoring your switch performance while you move data around. A read from the NAS is your best way to test performance, as RAID5 reads will be fast and you take the write overhead of RAID5 out of the picture.

Detrich

hmm, maybe i'm remembering wrong then. i just copied a 120mb file in 27 sec from a 100baset to 1000baset via windows explorer at work. for some reason i thought it it should be faster than that- ie 1/2 the time it actually took...

but, i think when u have mixed duplex settings, it always negotiates at the lower one. so, 100 to 1000 inevitably transfers at 100... maybe everything will go faster if u peg the duplex settings to all match at whatever max u can get? ie 100full to 100full? and, see if that helps? my stuff at home always runs slower than work tho, for obvious reasons.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing useful to add here....

It's all gibberish to me! :confused:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

cool. yah i think comparing copy speeds helps. 167mb in 15 seconds is within the range of what you'd expect to see on a fast 100baset network i think...

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

toddjcruz

If your NAS and ESXi are connected to fiber ports (1000) on the 3550, you can't set duplex, it's always full on a fiber port.

3550, yeah, I see 2000 is the largest you can set, that won't buy you much in TCP overhead.

without that, you just won't get significant network throughput on your network.

I always go direct attached or SAN for best performance on my disk sub system. Worst case you dig up an old PCI SCSI RAID card and grab an external enclosure to add to your server.

Or, find a 3750 or some other GIG switch that will support jumbo frames so that you can increase your network throughput.