Any Fishermen Here??

cbzdel

I got some buddies that go fishing alot (freshwater, for trout, salmon and such) and I was invited to go with them yet I have no equipment.

I told them there was (4) rod & reel kits in a local sporting goods store ad for less that $30.

Is there anything wrong with these cheaper setups? I used to use one when I was a little kid. I remember catching many fish with my mickey mouse rod and reel when I would go fishing with my grandpa haha!

I dont know if this is something I would really get involved in so I would rather not drop alot of cash being a newbie and such...

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator

cbzdel

good to know!

what do you gain by spending more money? I am just trying to figure out how items gets better...

I see the ones I was looking at on sale come between 5' and 6' lengths, is longer or shorter better and why?

anything else I should look for??

Thanks!!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Longer poles provide more accurate casting but hinder your ability in tight places like brush and trees at the edge of a lake or stream. I prefer the longer pole to cast futher.

Some people prefer open faced reels. I don't... I prefer closed faced as they are easier to keep the line straight.

The more money you spend, the higher quality parts in the reel, or the more flexible the rod. Higher quality reels are all stainless and brass parts which don't corrode and tend to take years before failing provided you keep the reel clean and lubed (like a chain.) The less expensive reels use cheaper parts and typically plastic gears and tend to wear out quicker. Think of them as a throw-away.

I wouldn't go totally cheap, but I wouldn't go top end unless you plan on making this a favorite pasttime. If it's the latter of these two Chris, spend the buck so you enjoy more casting and less fixing. :D

Look for a price break that offers the most metal in the reel. Look for a rod that doesn't have the cheaper aluminum sleeves that clamp the reel in. Get a rod that has the lower pocket and an actual screw-type clamp for the top of the reel.

Hope that helps!