Another FZ6R to XJ6 Conversion

DaveTheCanuck

Hello!

I picked up a 2011 FZ6R a couple weeks back and I'll be converting it to an XJ6N over the next month, so I figured I'd keep a build log here in case anyone is interested in following.

I've seen a few other conversion threads, but none in Canada yet... so here's hoping I'm the first :p

Here's the bike the day I picked it up (and as it stands today):

(yup, that's snow in the background still :()

After reading a few other recommendations here, I decided to order my parts from Matakos Motors in Greece and have them shipped over. Panagiotis, the rep I've been dealing with, has been extremely helpful and very quick to respond; great prices too. I did speak to a few local Yamaha dealerships, but none were able/willing to order in parts from Yamaha Europe.

I placed the order for the parts today, he expects to receive them within 5-7 days and said I should receive them within 15 days after that :)

Last edited:

DaveTheCanuck

Here's the part list I put together and ordered, as well as the retail prices...

^ Click the picture to get the spreadsheet ^

The prices provided should be used as examples only. Matakos reduced the final order price. Also these prices tend to vary over time depending on availability and currency.

I did NOT order the belly pan and respective brackets; I want to see how I like it without it first. I'm also keeping the FZ6R's split seats rather than the XJ6's banana boat. The spreadsheet does not include these parts.

Edit 4/28/2015: I've updated the list to include pieces I was missing.

Last edited:

Vath

Good luck man! And thanks a bunch for logging everything you're doing. I have decided to go streetfighter/xj6 conversion with my fz6r as well and this is exactly what I was looking for in terms of plastics off the xj6. Can't wait to see some pics as you install!

Vath

Man can't wait to see this! I am saving up the money to hopefully start my conversion in May. Good luck fitting it all together! Would be great to hear any issues you run into as well.

DaveTheCanuck

Pics! Started working on it last week....

Stripped the bike down

Headlight mounted! Had some help from a friend (she actually did most of the work lol)

Now unfortunately, we found out the hard way that the FZ6R and XJ6 headlights are NOT the same :( (despite looking the exact same on the micro fiche). The brackets fit perfectly and there's no problem mounting it to the bike, but the shrouds on the side don't fit the shape of the headlight at all. SO, XJ6N headlight on order from Greece. Oh well...

Fairings and everything mounted up!

She spotted the reflectors still on the front forks... those had to come off.

Decided to put the shrouds on the headlight anyway. They look funky, but they fit. It'll do until the new headlight comes in.

Bike with the shrouds

One thing you don't see is the fairings are only on the right side of the bike. I'm missing one bracket required to hold the fairings on the other side because it was on a different microfiche than the rest of the brackets <_<

Ordered FZ-09 mirrors instead of the XJ6N mirrors. They look nicer, and they're cheaper!

The FZ6R doesn't have the threads drilled for the mirror mount in the brake reservoir, so I drilled and tapped it out myself.

And mirror installed. Unfortunately only the left mirror has come in so far... derp lol

Didn't feel like riding around with only half the fairings, so I took them off for now. Here's how the bike stands right now...

I'll post an updated spreadsheet with the parts I'm missing. In addition to the list I posted above, you'll also need the XJ6N headlight, an additional bracket, and misc bolts, grommets, collars etc.

Cat tax...

Last edited:

Vath

Very nice write up! And please do post an updated list, it will seriously help me when I go to order. The way it stands I'll be following suit for this conversion at the end of May. :)

I actually like the way the headlight looks without the plastics on the sides. Might just not order them and buy a fz8 headlight if I decide against keeping the headlight completely naked. Save some money at least!

Also, I notice you don't have the lower fairing that goes around the exhaust pipes. Oversight or did you choose not to go with that?

DaveTheCanuck

Very nice write up! And please do post an updated list, it will seriously help me when I go to order. The way it stands I'll be following suit for this conversion at the end of May. :)

I actually like the way the headlight looks without the plastics on the sides. Might just not order them and buy a fz8 headlight if I decide against keeping the headlight completely naked. Save some money at least!

Also, I notice you don't have the lower fairing that goes around the exhaust pipes. Oversight or did you choose not to go with that?
I've posted the updated list in the second post :)

I would personally order the headlight shrouds if I were you. My pictures are a bit dark so you can't really see, but it looks very unfinished without them; you can see all the wiring, etc. behind. It's not very pretty.

I decided not to order the belly pan. I think I prefer the look without it.

DaveTheCanuck

The headlight and bracket that I'm missing should be shipping out today and they should be delivered within 2 weeks.

Vath

Can't wait to see this finished product!

david.wilde.16

Is the headlight assembly at all correlated with the side panels? I plan on getting an oem cowling but converting my side fairings and just using bar mirrors. Would that work?

DaveTheCanuck

Is the headlight assembly at all correlated with the side panels? I plan on getting an oem cowling but converting my side fairings and just using bar mirrors. Would that work?
Nope, the headlight and side fairings are completely separate. Go nuts ;)

Edit: Actually... can you clarify. Are you planing to keep the entire FZ6R front cowling (windscreen and everything around the headlight)? If so, that won't work.

Last edited:

Vath

Gorgeous finished product man. And great write up and spreadsheet showing everything you needed to order. Making others lives much easier!

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited:

DaveTheCanuck

Thanks for the compliments :)

It's funny because nobody here knows wtf my bike is lol, people keep asking and I have to explain it's the naked FZ6R. Someone even pulled up alongside me at a stoplight and asked "Is that the FZ09?" :p

I'm in Toronto as well. BTW, were you ever a member on Toronto Mazda 3?
Nope, never had a Mazda 3.

Not sure where in Toronto you are, but I'm usually at the Lakeshore & Leslie bike meet on Thursday nights and sometimes at Kennedy Commons on Wednesday.