Aftermarket front sprocket noisy with no rubber like stock one?

sti491

Like the title says, I am wondering about this. I am thinking about trying a Driven 15 tooth front sproket (-1). I have searched and read a number of posts on it.

My question is, the stock sprocket has rubber on it, presumably to reduce noise. Has anyone used the Driven brand front sproket noticed and additional noise from it?

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Thanks. I am thinking with my airbox mod the bike is so freakin loud it may not matter? I am more concerned after thinking about it, with vibration thru the bars at highway cruising. I rarely go on the highway with my bike, but I just joined the Mooseriders, and they have a 4 day blue ridge mountain run I am thinking about. It's $30 max depending what you buy, and pretty easy to do. Noise normally bothers me in a car, but thinking about it more I am probably splitting hairs here with my bike, given it's louder than most fighter jets at full song now!

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

I am not going to do the speedohealer right away. It's a shame they are so expensive. Trying to find a reasonable used one, but nothing so far. I'm not sure how I will like the higher revs cruising.... but I bet I get used to it. I'm going to advance my timing first, which should make noticeable midrange difference, then the sproket so I know what did what. Something tells me that together, it willl light up the performance nicely.

sti491

Hey, for what it's worth I just did both tires using ceramic balancing beads and 90 degree valve stems. The valve stems make checking your pressures more often MUCH easier. Definitely do this.

After much research I got Metzeler Sportec M7 RR's. They have a good PR campaign, it brought out the Isle of Man wannabe in me! I could not be happier with these tires. I had one high speed corner scary bit on them that was caused by a poor reaction on my part... I think the new rear tire saved my butt. Came out of a 90 degree intersection (I'm stopped) into a pretty long sweeper. So I am upshifting briskly through 1st, 2nd, 3rd leaned over, when a car appears to start out its driveway. Instinctively I cut throttle too abruptly just as I shifted into 4th. This was after I did the exhaust, PC, airbox so I was not really used to the new tourque. Well, leaned over the rear tire bit on the abrupt deceleration shift and got pretty squirelly for just an instant. Scary instant! But it corrected itself. I thanked the tires, cursed my rider reaction error and it confirmed I made a good tire choice!

Yeah, everyone told me I would be annoyed by the loud exhaust, but I don't mind it at all. I don't get bothered by the sounds of the bike and I bet the sprocket noise isn't that bad. The fan on my LED headlight is loud, but you can't here it while you're riding. I like the idea of the smaller sprocket, but not sure if I'd want to add a mph adjuster into all that I already have on the bike. New tires and I think I'll be all set for this season. I am thinking about a rear view camera, lol !

I'm trying to get the bike to look like a fighter jet !!

MrFrzZ

Hey, for what it's worth I just did both tires using ceramic balancing beads and 90 degree valve stems. The valve stems make checking your pressures more often MUCH easier. Definitely do this.

After much research I got Metzeler Sportec M7 RR's. They have a good PR campaign, it brought out the Isle of Man wannabe in me! I could not be happier with these tires. I had one high speed corner scary bit on them that was caused by a poor reaction on my part... I think the new rear tire saved my butt. Came out of a 90 degree intersection (I'm stopped) into a pretty long sweeper. So I am upshifting briskly through 1st, 2nd, 3rd leaned over, when a car appears to start out its driveway. Instinctively I cut throttle too abruptly just as I shifted into 4th. This was after I did the exhaust, PC, airbox so I was not really used to the new tourque. Well, leaned over the rear tire bit on the abrupt deceleration shift and got pretty squirelly for just an instant. Scary instant! But it corrected itself. I thanked the tires, cursed my rider reaction error and it confirmed I made a good tire choice!
I use the m7rr's as well... getting ready to order another set in a day or two... i may give dunlop q3's a shot at the track in may though...

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

https://www.600cc.org/forum/threads/33452-1-Person-DIY-Wheels-amp-Tire-Change-Front-amp-Rear

In case you missed it. If you are strong, know the technique and have good knees, it's not all that hard. But, I would not call it easy either!

Metzeler Sportec M7 RR's sound like the best for the street. I wasn't sure what I would go with, then I read your post and went on to do more research. I may even attempt to change them myself as I do most of all my repair/maintenance work myself - I typically don't trust shops due to bad experiences and dishonesty - Mercedes Benz, Volvo and Saab to name a few. If you're mechanically inclined, most repair work isn't that difficult and can save alot of money.