Advice sought urgently!

Frinksbonkers

Hi guys,

Whilst riding the other day I noticed a clicking noise coming from the bike whilst braking (fronts)
Then whilst wheeling the bike into the garage and applying the front brake to stop, it made the same clicking/clunking noise. Under further inspection it appears my rotors have at least 2-3mm of rotational play. I know these are floating parts, but I thought they where still solidly held together.

My bike only has 4000miles on it so I don't think that they should be this loose?

Also is the bike safe to ride?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

fredrod

+1 go to the shop. they are floating but they are not really (floating). If they are moving around like that you have a problem.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Frinksbonkers

All the bolts are tight and nothings loose, the centre part of the disc is fixed to the wheel but the metal rings and friction part of the disc have movement which is resulting in rotational movement. Ill talk it to the shop on tuesday.

FastFreddy

Sounds like cracked rotors, how could that happen ?

I think someone needs free rotors replaced, you could have died if the rotors had jammed whilst in that state.

Frinksbonkers

update: After checking all nuts and bolts where tightened correctly, and seeking advice from the garage, and looking at other identical new bikes, all our discs are the floating type and have a small amount of play in them. The garage checked my brakes and said the noise will be the pads moving about in the caliper under braking.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

jfont

Under further inspection it appears my rotors have at least 2-3mm of rotational play.
I have the same problem. When I brake hard in the lower speeds I get a thunking/knocking sound(from 20mph to a stop). No sound at higher speeds while braking, and no sound induced from sole engine braking.

A good description between floating rotors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPCy2AsULo

And a video of my movement:
motorcycle rotor play - YouTube

This is the only think I can find that would explain the knocking sound on my bike. About to take it into the shop. Did you find out any info on your own?

latony007

no one else

If no one else is hearing the noise I would say for sure there is something wrong. I have never heard anything braking with my bike. I haven't quite hit a 1000 yet though.