Adjusting handlebar position

mike

Im pretty disappointed right now. Stripped one of the hex bolts trying to take it off. Anyone know what i could do?
Try to beat allen key deeper in, if that does work. You could try to go 1 size up on the allen key but would have to knock it in with a hammer and would need to replace bolt it after you got it out. finally if that does work you could get a set of easy outs and drive the correct size in to remove but would still need to replace bolt after. Been a diesel mechanic for 13 years so I've had my fair share of bolts/allens stripping..lol

soapman99

Hello all. I just picked a 'new to me' '13 and would like to try the handle bar adjustment. Can anyone tell me what position this is in now?

I have rolled the bars towards me a bit and really like the result. But is there more there for me with turning these risers?

Thank you for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AL72

It's in the stock position (handlebar closer to you).

Regards!

soapman99

Thank you AL72. So if I turn the risers it will put the bar closer to the windscreen and offer a sportier riding style? If I rotate the risers, will the arrow on the cap still point towards the front of the bike (as they are currently)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AL72

Yep, just rotate the risers, and install the caps with the arrow pointing to the front (as they are in the photo).
I made this trick to my bike when it was new, and in a first glance it feels great (more sporty), but past 45 minutes of riding I began to feel pain in my wrists, so I return the handlebar to the stock position.

Regards!

dIGITAL dISCIPLE

Awesome.. Just got my bike 3 days ago and I'm gonna give this a go and see what difference it makes for me! I don't mind the position now (in a sense, but this is all new to me anyways, first bike!), but I feel after the 80 miles I've put on it I'll be able to tell if it's more comfortable for me or not. Thanks for all the great advice in this thread. Cheers.

Dansfz14

Ye
Loosen the bottom nuts first, before you take the 4 top bolts off.

You can turn the risers to move them to either the forward or rearward position. You can also rotate the bars up or down. The control housings can't be rotated. There's a pin in the housing that keys into a hole on handle bars.
You can actually move both housings without tools, I said that to a mechanic one day who was fixing my front master cylinder and he looked at me and then just grabbed it and rotated them 😅 I know the have a pin that sits in that groove but it's not that deep, not sure if I have a pin anymore but they Dont ever move without you trying to move them 😄.

As I rolled my bars forward towards me for more aggressive look, but now I'll be rotating the clamps on the weekend, funny thing is, I just rolled them back to normal position an hour ago and used Loctite as for some reason the bolts keep coming loose, my two lower bolts where finger loose 🤷 and they were torqued down at 32nm as well!