ABS system in XJ6 Diversion: Is it safe? Is it worthwhile? How it works?

fgarciab

Dear friends,

I am just about to buy a new XJ6 Diversion. Although I am willling to buy it with ABS, some friends have told me that ABS in sport bikes are in some dry situations a bad option because the break distance gets longer when the ABS is activated so there is a better chance to crash against a car for example.

Lets say you are in city traffic and the road and weather conditions are good. A car crosses you way. An experienced rider can break the bike without ABS in a shorter distance than with ABS because de ABS gets activated and takes 10 meters to stop the bike versus 5 meters for the non ABS version. Therefore, there is a better chance to crash with ABS.

Is it true?.

Does the ABS system get activated before time?

How does the ABS of the XJ& work?. Is it a modern and advanced system?

Thank you for your advice.

JSP

Super Moderator
Dear friends,

I am just about to buy a new XJ6 Diversion. Although I am willling to buy it with ABS, some friends have told me that ABS in sport bikes are in some dry situations a bad option because the break distance gets longer when the ABS is activated so there is a better chance to crash against a car for example.

Lets say you are in city traffic and the road and weather conditions are good. A car crosses you way. An experienced rider can break the bike without ABS in a shorter distance than with ABS because de ABS gets activated and takes 10 meters to stop the bike versus 5 meters for the non ABS version. Therefore, there is a better chance to crash with ABS.

Is it true?.

From what I gather, and from other vehicles with ABS... it cant. ABS only gets activated if you start to skid. So that is when you actually DO want it. I have heard nothing but good things about bikes with ABS.

latony007

fz6r

I was kind ticked they didn't offer the FZ6R with ABS. I have heard nothing bad about them either. If there is a difference in stopping distance I highly doubt it would be double. The object of ABS is to pump the brake on and off very rapidly to avoid a lock up yet still slow down in time.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

vengeance44

i think its a great to get a bike with abs its starting to look like the more tech the better. this stuff has been tested if it had no benefit then everyone would not be putting the tech into their bikes

Groover

Actually the OP is right. On some bikes and cars the ABS is way worse than a good operator who won't lock up much... from memory the Yammie ABD on this model is decent however. On my Toyota MR2 turbo one of the first things I did was disconnect the ABS it was shit! If I could disconnect it on my Commodore I would also but it seems to be embedded in the CPU. You can't beat constant pad to disc contact unless you lock up in terms of braking distance.
I subscribe to the BLAT philosophy.
Brake Late And Turn!

Last edited:
Dear friends,

Is it true?.

In studies i have read about ABS, the test subjects were experienced rides but it took them many tries to actually beat the abs. The first like 5-10 times the abs would always be the best but when the tester got used to the routine, they could beat ABS. Once the scientists changed the pattern, the ABS came out on top again. This says that under uncontrollable situations, such as a car pulling out, the ABS will really help. And they are not using 2 different bikes. They have 1 bike per rider and turned the abs on and off to keep things consistent.

I personally would love to have ABS since there are times i have nearly locked up the front wheel. The funny thing is how beginner riders could definitely use the ABS when they grab the bar yet the experienced riders on the expensive supersports with the abs dont want it. :D:D:rolleyes:

Also ABS will really help is non "ideal" conditions to prevent you from falling such as wet roads when braking.

Last edited:

latony007

Actually the OP is right. On some bikes and cars the ABS is way worse than a good operator who won't lock up much... from memory the Yammie ABD on this model is decent however. On my Toyota MR2 turbo one of the first things I did was disconnect the ABS it was shit! If I could disconnect it on my Commodore I would also but it seems to be embedded in the CPU. You can't beat constant pad to disc contact unless you lock up in terms of braking distance.
I subscribe to the BLAT philosophy.
Brake Late And Turn!
Toyota MR2? havent those been out of production for years? id get the ABS for sure if its available. As the other poster indicated ABS was always best until the driver learned the test and could brake accordingly. Unfortunately you only get one shot in an actual accident situation so i would much rather have them than not.

Bert-Aus

Better off with it!
Afterall why would the developers get so much support from manufacturers to have it?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

FastFreddy

Why manufacturers like ABS ? To cover for people that don't know that if you lock a front wheel, you get off the brakes and then reapply them rather than panick and give it the death grip.

FastFreddy

It makes sense for times when you hit a patch of slippery stuff at night that you didn't see or to give more peace of mind if you get caught in a downpour with new sticky tyres on.