A* Tech Road winter gloves

BKP

This was a tough decision, since I can't justify heated gloves in Atlanta, where it goes below 30 for two weeks out of the year. So, did some research on non-heated. This was my criteria:

• Had to be warm down to about 35-40F
  • Had to have the protection I wanted (side hand reinforcement, hard knuckle, etc.
  • Had to have an adjustable gauntlet that would fit over my jacket cuffs
  • Had to be primarily goatskin, which reduces bulk, but is just as strong as cowhide
  • Had to have a Gore-Tex or Gore-Tex type liner to breathe
  • Had to fit practically perfectly (not too loose, yet not tight enough to constrict), and the fingers had to be the right length
  • Conductive fingertip would have been nice, but not mandatory

Appeared I found just about all the pre-req's in the Alpinestars Tech Road, just released. Only found a couple of reviews, since it's new, so this was a crapshoot for me (an expensive one, at $200).

Well, got them in a couple of days ago.
First... *perfect* fit (Anthony, at RZ, wears almost the same size as me in everything... makes fitment very convenient, since he's big on announcing sizes during his review). The thumb is ever-so-slightly long, but, I can live with that. Check-box.
Second... took them out yesterday morning, at 40F for about an hour. Zero cold. Incredible. Even better, I had them out at 65F today at noon, and they were just as comfortable... didn't feel too warm -- perhaps due to the Gore-Tex. Nice wide temp range (Atlanta's weird in the winter - very wide temp swings in a single day). Check-box.
Third... Lots of tactile, for a winter glove. Surprising. Check-box.
Fourth... Nice visor-wipe on the left thumb. Turns out it works better than my fingers on insect splats, on the visor, too.
Fifth... Not a requirement, but a very cool looking glove, as well.

Big thumbs up... Is it worth a couple hundred $$? If it lasts more than a single season (has a lifetime warranty), it absolutely will be.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member