Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still intermittent stalling- error 33

Default Still intermittent stalling- error 33

Hello,
    My bike (a 2009 California model) has been feeling like it’s stalling out and the engine light goes on and off when it happens. Feels like it’s losing power. Not heat/rpm/mph/distance/gear, etc. just intermittent. Got to a point it wouldn’t go a foot without stuttering and feeling like it wanted to stall out. Dx code is error 33 (11/18) Now throwing 34 as well. I've the Yamaha shop manual.

What I’ve done:
    1. Checked fuses- good
    2. Checked/cleaned ECU connectors- good
    3. Replaced spark plugs
    4. Checked ignition coils- good
    5. Checked spark plug terminals- good
    6. Checked plug coupler- good
    7. Cleaned each connector I could find. Seriously. Each connector.
    8. Replaced battery (though it was still WNL)
    9. Cleaned ECU
    10. Checked ignition wiring to ECU (back probed)
    11. Checked to ignition fuse
    -there is some slight power loss here, but still WNL.
    12. Swapped out coils for used, but low mileage coils with plug connectors.

I've done a full tune-up around 35K and she's currently at 47k

UPDATE 11/13/18: Forgot to mention that the right front blinker light turns on and off when used instead of going brighter. Don't know if this is a symptom or just something odd happening that has to be seen. It's not the bulb as I've tested them on both sides with the same result.

UPDATE 11/18/18 After slapping her back together, it became worse. Would idle low, cut out, and the check engine light stayed on for all of the 3 minute ride to get gas. After getting back, we were able to consistently get her to idle low and turn on engine light in neutral and revving to 6-7k rpms, but she does it in any gear at any rpm just not as consistently. Addition of dx code 34.

11/24/18- swapped out coils. No dice. Still error 33.

Just bought a set of coils and plugs off ebay from a low miles bike. We'll see if that does the trick.
    Last edited by Love Enigma; 11-24-2018 at 08:44 PM.

What year is your bike? Is it 49 state or Calif model? When you say you have the manual is it the Yamaha shop manual or a Haynes manual.
    Tom

It's an 2009 and a Cali model. I have the Yamaha shop manual.

Hi; I don't know exactly what you are calling the pickup coil. If you mean the crankshaft position sensor (CPS or CPK) it is inside the timing rotor cover on the right end of the crankshaft. Find the wiring from the cover, disconnect the connector inside the boot. Set ohm meter to x 100 scale. Connect (+) wire probe to grey wire terminal, connect (-) probe to black wire terminal. Resistance should read 248 to 372 ohms at when cold. (approx 68 degrees) I can't remember but you may have to remove the fuel tank to reach this connector. The CPS is # 31 on your 2009 Yamaha manual wiring diagram.
    Hope this is what you need.
    Tom
    Last edited by tdnathens; 11-05-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: additions

Since the code 33 is ignition coil specific, and you have high mileage, my bet would be an ignition coil. Coil-on-plug designs take a beating from engine heat and vibration. Since the symptoms are intermittent, a static DC resistance test of the coils is unlikely to show a fault.
    Last edited by BluePill; 11-05-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Now: 2015 FZ6R & 2008 WR250R
    Past: 2009 FZ6R & 2008 CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by tdnathens View Post
    Hi; I don't know exactly what you are calling the pickup coil. If you mean the crankshaft position sensor (CPS or CPK) it is inside the timing rotor cover on the right end of the crankshaft. Find the wiring from the cover, disconnect the connector inside the boot. Set ohm meter to x 100 scale. Connect (+) wire probe to grey wire terminal, connect (-) probe to black wire terminal. Resistance should read 248 to 372 ohms at when cold. (approx 68 degrees) I can't remember but you may have to remove the fuel tank to reach this connector. The CPS is # 31 on your 2009 Yamaha manual wiring diagram.
    Hope this is what you need.
    Tom
    Thanks, Tom. Iíll check that out and post the results.

Look on page 2-45. Items 3 and 7 are ignition coil connectors, so I'd follow the wires from there.
    ó John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

A few observations; The OP listed in his opening that he checked his coils. As he has a Yamaha shop manual and it's clearly listed on pages 8-86 & 87. I presume they are ok. But as BluePill says they can fail intermittently, but they are not coil on plug design. Each coil fires two plugs. Code 33 is not coil specific. It is normally set by the coil for cylinders 1 & 4. But code 33 covers both coils, wiring, connectors, and components to and from the coils. CPK, ECM, before, plugs and plug wires after. If you want to follow the wiring you should use the double paged, color coded, line blocked, component listing wiring diagram at the end of the Yamaha shop manual. Easy Peasy.
    Tom

A few observations; The OP listed in his opening that he checked his coils. As he has a Yamaha shop manual and it's clearly listed on pages 8-86 & 87. I presume they are ok. But as BluePill says they can fail intermittently, but they are not coil on plug design. Each coil fires two plugs. Code 33 is not coil specific. It is normally set by the coil for cylinders 1 & 4. But code 33 covers both coils, wiring, connectors, and components to and from the coils. CPK, ECM, before, plugs and plug wires after. If you want to follow the wiring you should use the double paged, color coded, line blocked, component listing wiring diagram at the end of the Yamaha shop manual. Easy Peasy.
    Tom
    Thanks, everyone! I'll check it out and let you know how it goes. What's the best way to test if not static?

Forgot to mention that the right front blinker light turns on and off when used instead of going brighter. Don't know if this is a symptom or just something else happening that has to be seen to. It's not the bulb as I've tested them on both sides and it's the same result on the right.
    Last edited by Love Enigma; 11-13-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Tom
    Tom:

Thanks for correcting my error about the COP style coils. I had a brain fart and was thinking I was on a WR250R forum.

TMI is killing my brain!
    Now: 2015 FZ6R & 2008 WR250R
    Past: 2009 FZ6R & 2008 CBR1000RR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast