Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Possible Fuel in Oil Issue

Default Possible Fuel in Oil Issue

Ok, so I've done a bunch of oil changes on my bike and I am meticulous about making sure its topped off right on the line. I've put about 300 miles on the bike after the most recent oil change and after riding it the other day, I noticed oil at the drain bolt (just a tiny bit) and oil at the oil fill cap seeped past it. I found that very odd so I let the bike sit for about 20 minutes and then checked the oil on a rear stand. It was about a 1/8" PAST the oil max line on the dipstick. I immediately suspected gas in the oil and sure enough the oil smelled like gas. I pulled my airbox out and immediately smelled gas in the air filter too.

I pulled the spark plugs which now have about 1,200 - 1,500 miles on them and they looked a little cleaner than I thought they would. Pics attached at bottom.

Any thoughts? Leaky injector or something? It's a 2009 with 11,000 miles. I run it good but not hard often and I run about 50-100 miles a week on the bike.

- No smoke at start up or when throttling
    - No obvious gas leaks
    - Am running Marthy's sport map
    - Bike never laid over
    - No wheelies in a long time
    - Engine runs like it normally does, which is good

For some reason can't add the fourth spark plug picture but it looks exactly like the rest.
    0.jpg4.jpg10.jpg
    Last edited by TN6R; 09-19-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Your plugs look great. My crankcase and air box always have a gasoline smell. Unless I put my bike at the same exact spot on level concrete the oil level always varies 1/8 inch + or -. Sometimes more. I think it's to early to panic. Just ride it and watch the oil level.
    Tom

3. Thanks engineerpilotdude thanked for this post
    Likes engineerpilotdude liked this post

Oil level always go up a bit once hot, don't worry.

Martin

Life is all about attitude. Be hard on yourself, easy on others.

FZ6R sold...

5. Thanks engineerpilotdude thanked for this post
    Likes engineerpilotdude liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tdnathens View Post
    Your plugs look great. My crankcase and air box always have a gasoline smell. Unless I put my bike at the same exact spot on level concrete the oil level always varies 1/8 inch + or -. Sometimes more. I think it's to early to panic. Just ride it and watch the oil level.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthy View Post
    Oil level always go up a bit once hot, don't worry.
    Thanks for posing guys, that does add some peace of mind. I drained a little oil out and have since been watching it like a hawk and haven't noticed any new increase in oil level.

It would be running like crap with a cylinder not firing to allow gas to drain down the cylinder walls into the crank case.

That or an injector is stuck open but that is extremely rare. You would see your fuel milage change drastically and that oil level rise.

Like others have said you likely don't have anything to worry about.

Oil expands when hot, and foams up when the engine runs. If you check it when the manual specifies to check it, you'll have a more consistent reading. It's rare to have much fuel enter the oil unless as previously stated you have an injector stuck open. You'd be noticing more than fuel smell in that case as the engine would be running rough.

If you want to rule out fuel in the oil, Blackstone Labs standard oil analysis costs $28 and will tell you the concentration of fuel in the oil, and if they happen to have enough samples from other FZ6Rs can tell you if it's significant compared to average. Otherwise, it's a matter of getting an analysis at each oil change and watching the trend. I haven't changed oil on my bike since I started putting my other vehicles on an oil analysis program, so I'm not sure what's considered normal.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."