Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clutch level too far out

Default Clutch lever too far out

Similar to front break lever, is there a way to adjust the clutch lever so that it is closer to the bar end grip when fully disengaged? I have started doing some slow speed drills that require the clutch to be held in friction zone most of the practice duration, and the hand hurts.

Second issue I have is that the lever does not return to resting position up against the lever mount. I also followed the suggestion to use the thin and thick part of yamaha key head/bow as a reference to check distance between the lever and lever mount so as to get the freeplay to be within a range. But for some reason when I release the lever, the lever does not fully retract into the mount and close the free play completely. I have to manually push that last 3/16" space all the way back. Is it normal for portion of the freeplay space to be visible or should the level snap all the way back into the lever mount on its own in the resting position? Is it a sign of lack of lubrication with any part involved here? BTW, I checked the cable at the clutch plate, and it is not taut.
    Last edited by fz6rowner; 06-12-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Mine did the same thing when I had my fz. I would have to bump it out when letting out the clutch. Never had any slipping issues. Only had 12k miles on it when I sold it.

If it's properly adjusted to have required slack, it'll never return flush against the mount. It also will not be taut at the clutch when released. This is all good and desired. It allows the clutch to fully disengage and gives it a slight margin to avoid accidental clutch inputs.

As for adjusting the clutch to be closer would require modification of the handle itself to be curved more into the bar. My guess though is not that you're hand hurts from it being too far out, but from holding against the clutch spring tension which isn't really adjustable. When I first started riding, my hands used to cramp a bit until the muscles developed. I did a lot of commuting on the bike in the beginning and it took probably a month.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

4. Thanks fz6rowner thanked for this post

I just bought my FZ6R last month, and I definitely noticed the same thing you do with the clutch disengaging at an uncomfortable distance from the grip, especially coming from a Kawasaki Versys that had the friction zone halfway between the grip and all the way out. After browsing people's solutions, I bought aftermarket adjustable shorty levers from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/2014-2016-200...words=luo+fz6r). I have them adjusted at the #4 setting and it's made the ride infinitely more fun and comfortable!

6. Thanks fz6rowner thanked for this post

In the reviews, few complain that since shortie clutch lever fits only two fingers that they ache when friction zone is engaged over extended duration, like in slow moving traffic or frequent traffic light stops. How bad is it? Is it better to go with standard length adjustable levers.

Quote Originally Posted by fz6rowner View Post
    In the reviews, few complain that since shortie clutch lever fits only two fingers that they ache when friction zone is engaged over extended duration, like in slow moving traffic or frequent traffic light stops. How bad is it? Is it better to go with standard length adjustable levers.
    I run Pazzo Racing adjustable levers on my R6 - a standard length on the clutch side and a shorty for the front brake. That combination works great for me and I plan on installing a similar setup on my FZ6R.

The shorty lever that I referenced above fits 3 fingers for me so I have no issues with cramping, especially with the friction zone closer to the grip. I am 5'8", 160#, so if you're significantly taller/bigger then maybe only 2 fingers would fit and it might be uncomfortable, so ymmv I guess.