Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fuel selection at the pump

Default Fuel selection at the pump

I recently purchased my first motorcycle, a 2012 FZ6R from a buddy of mine, and today I had to put fuel into it for the first time. I tried to skim the service manual on my phone at the pump but wasn’t able to find anything. So I chose the standard (87 octane - 10% ethanol) here in Pennsylvania.

Apon reviewing the service manual further when I got home, I did find some information on fuel.

Recommended fuel:
    Unleaded gasoline only
    Fuel tank capacity:
    17.3L (4.57 US gal, 3.81 lmp.gal)
    Fuel reserve amount:
    3.2L (0.85 US gal, 0.70 lmp.gal)

NOTICE
    Use only unleaded gasoline. The use of leaded gasoline will cause severe damage to internal engine parts, such as the valves and piston rings, as well as to the exhaust system.

Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2] of 86 or higher, or a research octane number of 91 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel. Use of unleaded fuel will extend spark plug life and reduce maintenance costs.
    Gasohol
    There are two types of gasohol: gasohol containing ethanol and that containing methanol. Gasohol containing ethanol can be used if the ethanol content does not exceed 10% (E10) Gasohol containing methanol is not recommended by Yamaha because it can cause damage to the fuel system of vehicle performance problems.

It seems as if Yamaha is saying - If you have to, you can use E10.
    Is anybody out there using standard gasoline without the added ethanol? And which octane? Any thoughts with our engine?

If the oil is the lifeblood of the engine. Would fuel be a close second?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arnie; 04-23-2018 at 07:57 PM.

I generally run 89 only because I couldn't find a definite answer in the manual. As for ethanol, I'm pretty sure it's up to 10%.

Ive always used 93 in mine. I've never noticed any issues and my plugs looked good for being 3k miles over their change due date.

Due to the altitude (Denver, CO), regular unleaded in my area is 85 octane E-10. The FZ6R runs fine on it - no issues.

Heck, I run 87 octane E-10 in my R6 in the cooler months (November - May) without any problems, but I definitely have to use 91 octane in it in the hot summer months.

Oh, and I add Star Tron to every tank (in both bikes) to counteract the effects of ethanol.

I've run the lowest grade in mine since I bought it brand new. They recommend 86 octane in the manual; most states have 87 as the lowest. As long as you don't get detonation, run the lowest you can.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

A sticker on the swing arm says to use 91. The manual says 86. I've used 87 E10 since I've bought the bike. Once in a blue moon, I throw in some non ethenal 87 or 89 which ever the gas station has available. I think I used 91 once or twice in the 2.5 years I've owned the bike.

TLDR
    Use what ever gas you want as long as it's not more than 10% ethenol.

I just got mine a about a month ago. I've been using 87 (as per the manual), and have not heard any knocking yet.

Quote Originally Posted by unclefester401 View Post
    I just got mine a about a month ago. I've been using 87 (as per the manual), and have not heard any knocking yet.
    87 for me since purchase. No issues.

After doing a bunch of research on this the general consensus is 87 with 10% ethanol is fine.

The issue I have is that Ethanol can hold water, and can cause corrosion internally if you are storing the bike for a long period.

I live in Canada and will be storing the bike 4-5 months out of the year, so I don't want anything to do with Ethanol, so I run premium from Sunoco as it is easy to find and contains no ethanol.

Performance wise it makes no difference and I have ran both in the past.

Its a couple bucks difference on a tank so I feel its worth it.