Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making seat more comfy - Memory foam

Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing how it performs

w00 w00! Re-done seat is the bomb!

Just went on local loop in 30mph wind gusts... because I HAD to check out the seat! Seat is freakin' A+ awesome. Firm but comfy at same time. Check out how the stitching lines up with the tank pads... haha, is good to get lucky! I did not have the bike at Port City Upholstery, only the seat. Brian just made it that way... he's the upholsterer magician!

I can now sit back farther when I want to. The Japanese engineer that designed the passenger seat with that center bulge must have swung both ways I think, it felt terrible before. Maybe that thing fits somebodies butt, not mine though. With the seat higher now, it’s the perfect butt rest. I had already raised my seat 1.5", but being a long legged 6"3", I now finally flat foot the bike comfortably at a stop. Soooo nice. I wanted it done for comfort mainly, but wow, it’s the little things that set bikes apart. Very happy with the appearance. The vinyl is Carbon Fiber in the center, smooth on the sides. The pics of the CF don't do it justice. The vinyl is thicker than OEM and much nicer quality.

There is also no forward tilt in the seat now, which is way better IMO. No more family jewel tank compression braking aggressively.

Hey, on another note, if you don't already have side tank pads, you should. Some may find these unattractive. For whatever your appearance view, you can't argue the ridability improvement. Not having a freezing metal tank between your legs on a cold morning is a big plus as well.

If you are considering doing this, don't hesitate. The seat is a weak point on this bike in my opinion. I can't wait going on another long ride.

One more shout out to Brian. He's THE MAN!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sti491; 04-20-2018 at 05:01 AM.
    '12 Raven/DS70/PC/Block offs/Cut air box short v-stacks/Timing adv/-1 frt sprocket/Metzeler M7RR's/90o stems/spools/sliders/GD opener/Acc-USB plugs/Volt meter/Jewel switch/Phone mount/LEDs: Amber Jewel/Headlight/Smoke tail & flush frt & pod sig-DLR/underseat red sig-brake/DMP fender eliminator/Lithium battery/Puig touring screen/Grip Puppies/Seat 1.5" higher/Rox 1" up & back risers/Gear Indicator/KTM tail pack/M1 alarm/CC/Tank Pads/SS BL/3 back surgeries/Old fart balls of steel/Happy to be here.

3. Likes dazza_FZ6R liked this post

That looks absolutely fantastic!

I am more intrigued on how you filled the ugly gap

Before I changed the seat, I had a larger than normal front seat to tank gap.... because I has raised the seat up so much (at least 1.5"). The back gap was a bit nasty too.

In the front, I bought a fairly large pice of one side sticky window/door foam insulation from Home Depot, ant stuck it to the front of the rider seat. It looked better that way.

I did the same thing on the crack between the rider and passenger seat, sticking it to the passenger seat, rather low, so you didn't really see it, but it filled the gap and there at least was no light shining through. This foam is dark grey. I used a black sharpie to make it more of the black color of the seats.

Brain at Port City Upohlstry, took the piece of foam I had on the front of the rider seat, and placed it under his new custom seat cover, that has thicker and better quality vinyl. I put the "new" seat on with the passenger foam still in place, and it fit like it was made to be!

Quote Originally Posted by xplumberx View Post
    I am more intrigued on how you filled the ugly gap
    '12 Raven/DS70/PC/Block offs/Cut air box short v-stacks/Timing adv/-1 frt sprocket/Metzeler M7RR's/90o stems/spools/sliders/GD opener/Acc-USB plugs/Volt meter/Jewel switch/Phone mount/LEDs: Amber Jewel/Headlight/Smoke tail & flush frt & pod sig-DLR/underseat red sig-brake/DMP fender eliminator/Lithium battery/Puig touring screen/Grip Puppies/Seat 1.5" higher/Rox 1" up & back risers/Gear Indicator/KTM tail pack/M1 alarm/CC/Tank Pads/SS BL/3 back surgeries/Old fart balls of steel/Happy to be here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12