Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shorty levers ?

Default Shorty levers... Custom cut OEM style!

I have read about and shopped these, but never used them. They are not cheap for good ones.

I frequently ride using a two finger brake and clutch actuation. I also alternate between winter and summer gloves frequently this time of year in NC. With my winter gloves all is good. With summer gloves it's easy to bump my ring finger on my left hand that remains on the grip, when 2-fingering the clutch. I can be careful, and also a bit awkwardly spread my ring finger and pinky out a bit toward the bar end. It's sort of like the Mr Spock Vulcan Live Long & Prosper deal though, not super comfy, at least with my arthritis.

Also, my son just added a radial master cylinder that included a new brake lever to his 2000 SV650. It's not a shorty, but it is gloss black. With our bikes parked next to each other, you can see how much my better Raven would look with black (and smaller) levers. But looks are secondary here regarding my question.

What I am thinking is to cut my current OEM levers to the length I like for my hands, then grind/file/sand the ends to a shape I like, and paint them. Worse case I don't like them for some reason, and I buy new ones.

Has anyone done this? Can you think of a reason I should not do this? Look forward to your views. SEE FINISHED PICS AT END>>>
    Last edited by sti491; 03-09-2018 at 06:19 AM.
    '12 Raven/DS70/PC/Block offs/Cut air box short v-stacks/Timing adv/-1 frt sprocket/Metzeler M7RR's/90o stems/spools/sliders/GD opener/Acc-USB plugs/Volt meter/Jewel switch/Phone mount/LEDs: Amber Jewel/Headlight/Smoke tail & flush frt & pod sig-DLR/underseat red sig-brake/DMP fender eliminator/Lithium battery/Puig touring screen/Grip Puppies/Seat 1.5" higher/Rox 1" up & back risers/Gear Indicator/KTM tail pack/M1 alarm/CC/Tank Pads/SS BL/3 back surgeries/Old fart balls of steel/Happy to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by sti491 View Post
    Can you think of a reason I should not do this? Look forward to your views.
    If you plan on tracking the bike, the track day organizer may not allow you to use them without a "ball" on the end of the lever. This would really be the only think I could think of. That or making the metal slightly brittle with the heat of grinding, but I doubt it would affect it that much.

Default Shorty levers ?

Thank you. Iíve been thinking about this since I posted this morning. I might try to cut a short piece out and weld the ball back on. Then file and smooth it, paint it black. It would look better that way probably too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '12 Raven/DS70/PC/Block offs/Cut air box short v-stacks/Timing adv/-1 frt sprocket/Metzeler M7RR's/90o stems/spools/sliders/GD opener/Acc-USB plugs/Volt meter/Jewel switch/Phone mount/LEDs: Amber Jewel/Headlight/Smoke tail & flush frt & pod sig-DLR/underseat red sig-brake/DMP fender eliminator/Lithium battery/Puig touring screen/Grip Puppies/Seat 1.5" higher/Rox 1" up & back risers/Gear Indicator/KTM tail pack/M1 alarm/CC/Tank Pads/SS BL/3 back surgeries/Old fart balls of steel/Happy to be here.

Thank you. Iíve been thinking about this since I posted this morning. I might try to cut a short piece out and weld the ball back on. Then file and smooth it, paint it black. It would look better that way probably too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aren't they cast? Might be tricky to weld back on.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFrzZ View Post
    Aren't they cast? Might be tricky to weld back on.
    I am partly done. I decided to to cut it, pin it, and JB Weld it instead (epoxy). I have has very good results with JB Weld previously. Actually, I used a cut off screw for the pin, which threaded itself perfectly and clamped the glue FTW!

I'm waiting for it to fully cure over night. I will do the final shaping, paint prep and paint tomorrow. I went with more of a 3 finger length to give me some flexibility. If I like it, I'll do the brake to match.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Clutch-....c100290.m3507

I bought these on eBay and they are great. You do have to use a part from the clutch lever to install them but they work like a charm.

Progrip.jpg
    09 FZ6R / Two Brothers Black Series Full Exhaust / Two Brothers Racing Juice Box / Pulse Engine Block Off Plates / K&N Filters / NGK Iridium Plugs / Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21 Tires / EBC HH Brake Pads / T-Rex Sliders / LED Headlight / LED H3 Amber Power Crystal / LED Flushmounts / ProGrip Grips & CF Tank Pad / CNC Black Levers / Hyper Black Windscreen / IDEA Waterproof Motorcycle Gear Indicator / Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S Sport Tail Bag / Viper 3100VX Alarm

Sedici Rico Black Leather Jacket / MotoCentric Assault Black Jacket / Sedici Boots / Alpinestars Warden Gloves / Kabuto Aeroblade III Matte Gunmetal Helmet / Kabuto Kamui Fluente Flat Black Helmet

Wow those are dirt cheap! I was looking at $150-$175. Since I have paint, and tools, doing what I'm doing is free, less my time and enjoyment!

I figured I'd see if I could do it. If I messed up I'd just buy something like this. I still might.

How many fingers can you get on the clutch with gloves on? What size gloves do you wear?

A lot of guys get those less expensive levers and the only complaints I've really seen or heard of is color fading, but a 1000 grit sanding and some quality DTM paint and clear and they'll never fade again. I picked up a set of these myself and love them. Nice factory fit, smooth operation and easy install.

Besides that, you've done some pretty awesome work there on those factory levers. I'd paint them up and call it a day!

MZS Levers

Wow those are dirt cheap! I was looking at $150-$175. Since I have paint, and tools, doing what I'm doing is free, less my time and enjoyment!

I figured I'd see if I could do it. If I messed up I'd just buy something like this. I still might.

How many fingers can you get on the clutch with gloves on? What size gloves do you wear?
    I use three fingers for the clutch and two for braking. Glove size is Large and it is a little tight on the clutch side, but not uncomfortable when I'm shifting - it's just the way I like it, with no problems at all with the operation of shifting.

For 20 bucks I was surprised at how well the shorty levers fit and the build quality is better than expected. Not sure if they will fade, but not too concerned as they can be painted if needed.
    09 FZ6R / Two Brothers Black Series Full Exhaust / Two Brothers Racing Juice Box / Pulse Engine Block Off Plates / K&N Filters / NGK Iridium Plugs / Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21 Tires / EBC HH Brake Pads / T-Rex Sliders / LED Headlight / LED H3 Amber Power Crystal / LED Flushmounts / ProGrip Grips & CF Tank Pad / CNC Black Levers / Hyper Black Windscreen / IDEA Waterproof Motorcycle Gear Indicator / Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S Sport Tail Bag / Viper 3100VX Alarm

Sedici Rico Black Leather Jacket / MotoCentric Assault Black Jacket / Sedici Boots / Alpinestars Warden Gloves / Kabuto Aeroblade III Matte Gunmetal Helmet / Kabuto Kamui Fluente Flat Black Helmet

Those are a good buy for sure.

The forecast is crappy here for a few days, so i"ll probably get both levers done before riding. I was going to make my clucth 2- finger with winter gloves on, but decided on three for a bit more room. Can't wait till they are done and back on the bike.

Friday my custom shaped Techspec snake skin tank pads arrive. Man, I can't wait. I love my the ones on my son's bike. Even if you are not hanging your butt off in the corners (I don't do much), they are comfy and warmer on cold days. The plus for me on the Raven is, while I like the black and red paint scheme, I don't like the grey swirly design that accompanies the rest, especially on the tank. These will cover that nicely! Can't wait.
    Last edited by sti491; 03-07-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast