Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help - Exhaust port analysis and re-installation of Two Brothers exhaust

Default Need help - Exhaust port analysis and re-installation of Two Brothers exhaust

Looking at side view pictures of my bike, I noticed that the exhaust was hanging lower than other ones I've seen on the internet, so I did some research and sure enough it was not installed properly. I've now taken off the exhaust and looked into the ports and saw rust in port 1 and oil in port 4. I don't know anything about the engine other than to feed it gas, so I'm hoping our engine guru's could tell me why they all don't look the same inside. Thanks in advance for any information. Attached pictures aren't the best, but you can see what I am seeing.

When re-installing where is the high heat silicone applied? I bought anti seize for the threads too !

Ports12.jpg

Ports 1 & 2

Ports34.jpg

Ports 3 & 4
    09 FZ6R / Two Brothers Black Series Full Exhaust / Two Brothers Racing Juice Box / Pulse Engine Block Off Plates / K&N Filters / NGK Iridium Plugs / Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21 Tires / EBC HH Brake Pads / T-Rex Sliders / LED Headlight / LED H3 Amber Power Crystal / LED Flushmounts / ProGrip Grips & CF Tank Pad / CNC Black Levers / Hyper Black Windscreen / IDEA Waterproof Motorcycle Gear Indicator / Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S Sport Tail Bag / Viper 3100VX Alarm

Sedici Rico Black Leather Jacket / MotoCentric Assault Black Jacket / Sedici Boots / Alpinestars Warden Gloves / Kabuto Aeroblade III Matte Gunmetal Helmet / Kabuto Kamui Fluente Flat Black Helmet

Hey Vince, sorry to hear about this problem. While it is very hard to internet diagnos, I did re-torque my custom home made exhaust (Marthy style) multiple times... at least 3 times as it sat when I was doing other things after the exhaust but it was still on stands, and once maybe two weeks after. Every time it required re-tightening to the same factory torque.

Why? Because the crushable header washer-gaskets smush (yes, that is a technical term) and then need to smush some more until they are happy. I can't recall if you said, but I think the exhaust was on the bike when you got it. Lots of peeps use the old washers/gaskets, which is no bueno. That is my guess. Your headers got just loose enough for those seals to leak and make the exhaust look crooked. It's either that or your headers are bent somehow?

I'll look up where I got my header gaskets. Unless there is an obvious reason why I am wrong with this guess, the first thing I would do I'd take out the old ones, install new ones, re-tourque a few times with within a couple hours, and then every time you are messing with that area of the bike.

You could also pull your plugs and see what they look like.. but if your headers were leaking, the plugs will likely clear themselves once you fix the exhaust.

Also, when you are putting them on, add a little bit of copper antiseize to the threads. You will thank me in 5 years when you have to remove them for some other repair ��. Trust me.

Good luck getting it fixed man.

My two cents. I hope that is what it is. I'll post where I got mine.

I have never had to use high heat silicone

Thanks Rob. I will get new ones for the re-install. The guy who owned the bike before me didn't care to much to do this right and now I'm correcting this and a have corrected other things since I've owned the bike. Is the copper anti-seize the same as the aluminum? I also bought the high-temp copper silicone, but not sure how to apply in to the gaskets. The Two Brothers install manual isn't really that good for showing this step.
    09 FZ6R / Two Brothers Black Series Full Exhaust / Two Brothers Racing Juice Box / Pulse Engine Block Off Plates / K&N Filters / NGK Iridium Plugs / Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21 Tires / EBC HH Brake Pads / T-Rex Sliders / LED Headlight / LED H3 Amber Power Crystal / LED Flushmounts / ProGrip Grips & CF Tank Pad / CNC Black Levers / Hyper Black Windscreen / IDEA Waterproof Motorcycle Gear Indicator / Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S Sport Tail Bag / Viper 3100VX Alarm

Sedici Rico Black Leather Jacket / MotoCentric Assault Black Jacket / Sedici Boots / Alpinestars Warden Gloves / Kabuto Aeroblade III Matte Gunmetal Helmet / Kabuto Kamui Fluente Flat Black Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by sti491 View Post
    I have never had to use high heat silicone
    You beat me to my post about this - lol !

Thank you !

There are 2 types of antiseize. Nickle based, that you use on spark plugs and other bolts, and copper based you use on high heat applications like header bolts. Copper based is also conductive which is why you don't use it on plugs.

Personally, I would leave that silicone in the tube. Maybe for a slip-on fit that you can't not clamp tight enough, but not a header connection. Just my opinion ��

9. Likes adazine liked this post

I also recommend to loosen the the muffler strap or any other exhaust system hanger bolts when you tighten the header bolts. Then, when you are done with the header clamps check how the rest of the system lines up, make adjustments if needed so when you tighten up everything there is little stress on it all.

Quote Originally Posted by adazine View Post
    Thank you !
    I forgot when I responded, but later remembered, due to shipping cost from that source which was recommended on this forum, I ended up buying these on Ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Gas...72.m2749.l2649

These work for any year FZ6R despite what the listing says. Perfect fit.

Smear a small amount of grease (any grease) on the side of the gasket that meets the head to temporarily hold them in there before you slip the header ends on. If you don't, they just fall out. The grease just burns offf when when you start it and it doesn't make them hard to remove next time you remove the header.

These are like oil drain crush washers. You need new ones every time to remove them. A lot of people re-use, however. Not me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast