Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Maps Question For You Guys Running Maps

  1. #11

    Default

    All four plugs look like these two so I only pictured two. The one with the whiter center was the 3rd plug in line (looking at them in the head from left to right). The 3rd one and the 4th one looked like that and then the first two plugs on the left side of the bike were more tan in color.

    I ran the slip on for about 600 - 700 miles up to yesterday before installing the PCFC yesterday evening. I still have the stock header on and replaced the crush gaskets with new oem ones back when I reinstalled it after putting on the delkevic can. Thanks for the pm too Rob, gave me some peace of mind with those plugs!

    2 by XRC, on Flickr

  2. #12
    Senior Member sti491's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    281
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Reading those plugs is interesting. They are fine I'm sure so don't let my comments give you concern.

    1. What is all the gunk in the threads, particularly around the crush washer in the first plug you are holding? Is your bike stored outside? Per our earlier discussion, maybe the prior owner used way to much anti seize? Look at the difference between my pic and yours. Yours only have twice as much miles on them. Mine was all with the stock exhaust and no Power Commander. Yours are some miles with the Delkevic on stock map I assume, as you just got the controller?

    2. The first plug looks good, as does the second, but the second one is a bit richer. From your side pics in your other post, the electrode looks worn down to a thinner point (?)... not sure if that is an optical illusion. About the only thing that does that is detonation, or pinging or knocking as its called also. That happens from timing being too advanced or poor/low octane gas. Looking at your old plugs and new plugs in person, do the electrode tip, right where the gap is look worn and pointy, compared to the flat surface of the new plug at the gap? Are these both NGK CR9E? Do you run Regular or Premium gas, any fuel additives? I find it hard to believe there is anything wrong with the stock timing on the bike, but crappy fuel can definitely do that too. When you start the bike from a stop and and accidentally "lug" it a little, almost like it's it's about to stall, do you ever hear a ping or knock?

    3. Just go out and enjoy your bike. Ride the snot out of it with the map you like best. Remember to check you oil and most importantly tire pressure before every ride. Maybe in another 1,000 miles pull the plugs to see if they look any different than new, or your old plugs.

    Doubt you have anything to worry about.

    I suspect when I pull my plugs with all my recent mods, that they will look a tad more rich than the last plugs I remove from it when it was stock. What will be interesting if my plugs will show any affect of changing my timing to approx 10 degrees. I have not heard any ping from it... so my assumption is I filed it about right, that is, not too much.

    The only thing my bike does now, it did it on first up and a few times starting since, is idle higher for a short while when its cold. It always did that as it should, but with the timing change it's maybe 60% as higher. Advancing timing does increase idle speed. In our bikes the ECU seems to take back to 1,200-1,300 where it should be. It's almost like the eco isn't sure whats happening at first with a cold start after my timing mod.Bbut in a minute it's normal. Not objectionable, but it's different, and confirms I really did change it!




    Quote Originally Posted by TN6R View Post
    All four plugs look like these two so I only pictured two. The one with the whiter center was the 3rd plug in line (looking at them in the head from left to right). The 3rd one and the 4th one looked like that and then the first two plugs on the left side of the bike were more tan in color.

    I ran the slip on for about 600 - 700 miles up to yesterday before installing the PCFC yesterday evening. I still have the stock header on and replaced the crush gaskets with new oem ones back when I reinstalled it after putting on the delkevic can. Thanks for the pm too Rob, gave me some peace of mind with those plugs!

    2 by XRC, on Flickr
    Last edited by sti491; 03-03-2018 at 04:43 AM.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sti491 View Post
    Reading those plugs is interesting. They are fine I'm sure so don't let my comments give you concern.

    1. What is all the gunk in the threads, particularly around the crush washer in the first plug you are holding? Is your bike stored outside? Per our earlier discussion, maybe the prior owner used way to much anti seize? Look at the difference between my pic and yours. Yours only have twice as much miles on them. Mine was all with the stock exhaust and no Power Commander. Yours are some miles with the Delkevic on stock map I assume, as you just got the controller?

    2. The first plug looks good, as does the second, but the second one is a bit richer. From your side pics in your other post, the electrode looks worn down to a thinner point (?)... not sure if that is an optical illusion. About the only thing that does that is detonation, or pinging or knocking as its called also. That happens from timing being too advanced or poor/low octane gas. Looking at your old plugs and new plugs in person, do the electrode tip, right where the gap is look worn and pointy, compared to the flat surface of the new plug at the gap? Are these both NGK CR9E? Do you run Regular or Premium gas, any fuel additives? I find it hard to believe there is anything wrong with the stock timing on the bike, but crappy fuel can definitely do that too. When you start the bike from a stop and and accidentally "lug" it a little, almost like it's it's about to stall, do you ever hear a ping or knock?

    3. Just go out and enjoy your bike. Ride the snot out of it with the map you like best. Remember to check you oil and most importantly tire pressure before every ride. Maybe in another 1,000 miles pull the plugs to see if they look any different than new, or your old plugs.

    Doubt you have anything to worry about.

    I suspect when I pull my plugs with all my recent mods, that they will look a tad more rich than the last plugs I remove from it when it was stock. What will be interesting if my plugs will show any affect of changing my timing to approx 10 degrees. I have not heard any ping from it... so my assumption is I filed it about right, that is, not too much.

    The only thing my bike does now, it did it on first up and a few times starting since, is idle higher for a short while when its cold. It always did that as it should, but with the timing change it's maybe 60% as higher. Advancing timing does increase idle speed. In our bikes the ECU seems to take back to 1,200-1,300 where it should be. It's almost like the eco isn't sure whats happening at first with a cold start after my timing mod.Bbut in a minute it's normal. Not objectionable, but it's different, and confirms I really did change it!
    1. Yes I noticed the anti seize on there but didn't really think about it at the time. I'm think the original owner must've done plugs and used too much like you said. It's just like old anti seize in texture and appearance. I do store my bike in a carport outside and only installed the PCFC as of Thursday so it's new to me. The exhaust and other mods are from 2016.

    2. The old plugs are NGK Iridium CR9EIX. I never knew that about spark plugs and just checked the tips. All of them are flat and the same. I think it just looks pointy in the pic. That's good news to me now that I know that. I didn't have any pinging before, or at least not that I ever noticed. The two plugs on the right were loose where I didn't have to break the seat when I was uninstalling them like I did with the 1st two. I only use Shell gas and generally unleaded but I did add some lucas fuel stabilizer over the winter a couple times. When I've nearly stalled or did stall out before I didn't hear anything unusual. Do you think I should start running premium fuel?

    3. I'll definitely pull the plugs in a 1k miles and post back some pics. I'm very interested to see what shows up myself now. I wish I knew what you do, but I know I'll get there eventually. I'm going to ride today and will run it a little on the harder side and see what happens. I did notice that my engine temp was lower than usual. Usually it's up to 180 when I run it for 20 minutes in 50 degrees but it stayed around 167 most of the time yesterday.

    I can't wait to do the advance timing mod and already picked up some files to do it. I'm just going to copy the method to your specs lol. Thanks man!

  4. #14
    Senior Member sti491's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    281
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TN6R View Post
    1. Yes I noticed the anti seize on there but didn't really think about it at the time. I'm think the original owner must've done plugs and used too much like you said. It's just like old anti seize in texture and appearance. I do store my bike in a carport outside and only installed the PCFC as of Thursday so it's new to me. The exhaust and other mods are from 2016.

    2. The old plugs are NGK Iridium CR9EIX. I never knew that about spark plugs and just checked the tips. All of them are flat and the same. I think it just looks pointy in the pic. That's good news to me now that I know that. I didn't have any pinging before, or at least not that I ever noticed. The two plugs on the right were loose where I didn't have to break the seat when I was uninstalling them like I did with the 1st two. I only use Shell gas and generally unleaded but I did add some lucas fuel stabilizer over the winter a couple times. When I've nearly stalled or did stall out before I didn't hear anything unusual. Do you think I should start running premium fuel?

    3. I'll definitely pull the plugs in a 1k miles and post back some pics. I'm very interested to see what shows up myself now. I wish I knew what you do, but I know I'll get there eventually. I'm going to ride today and will run it a little on the harder side and see what happens. I did notice that my engine temp was lower than usual. Usually it's up to 180 when I run it for 20 minutes in 50 degrees but it stayed around 167 most of the time yesterday.

    I can't wait to do the advance timing mod and already picked up some files to do it. I'm just going to copy the method to your specs lol. Thanks man!
    Ok, based on your plug description it must have been the pic angle that made the tips look pointy. I think everything is A-ok with your engine. Premium vs Regular is as controversial as which oil to run. I figure, relatively speaking, I use so little gas in my bike compared to my cars I'll run premium all the time. When you change the timing you will ALWAYS need to run Premium.

    We have stations around here that sell ethanal free "pure" premium. Right now it's almost $4/gal. Pricey, but I have used it. Probably overkill. You need as high an Octane Premium as you can get when the timing mod is done. It's the price to play!

    Shell is generally a very good brand of gas. My Dad who has passed now, retired from Shell oil. He worked on Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America jet car at the Bonneville Salt Flats, where it captured the world land speed record. He also worked F1 when Shell was a sponsor.

    I am happy to help. There are several others on this site that have helped me greatly. Pay it forward man...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. PCV maps
    By My spec v in forum FZ6R General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 08:03 PM
  2. Looking for a PCV + maps
    By Lago in forum FZ6R Mods
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2017, 02:28 PM
  3. What fuel maps are you guys and gals using?
    By arse in forum FZ6R General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM
  4. PC V Maps Info
    By KADO in forum FZ6R Mods
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
  5. Custom Maps
    By bmccrary in forum Touring and Traveling
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •