Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: White and Crusty Residue, -potential coolant leak?

Default White and Crusty Residue, -potential coolant leak?

Whats up y'all, I come in search of wisdom. Ive noticed for a while now a white translucent crust like residue (as if vapor or liquid has evaporated on the surface), coating the sides of my bike. Just from working on cars, it looks like when coolant dries- but I have looked high and low for a leak when the bike was pretty hot and I cannot find one. I need to get my paddock stand out there and level it out to check the tank better, but when I looked at it leaning fairly close to verticle - it seemed to be full. unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed.jpg

Please Help! Take a look at the photos, see what you surmise. Any advice would be much appreciated!

With the coolant reservoir still full, I think it might be from something you were riding through.

The center of your rad seems to have a line of crap on it from whatever came off your front tire. Also on the sides of the rad it looks like it has streaked from the front to the back.

Do you have winter weather where you live? Salt/brine on the roads?

I'd give it a good wash and see if it turns up again.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    2010 Raven FZ6R -- Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders -- CF Tank Pad -- ZX6 Mirrors -- High Beam Garage Door Opener -- Two Brother's Black Series C/F Exhaust -- Power Commander V -- Galfer SS Brake Lines -- EBC Sintered HH Pads -- Oxford Heated Grips

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Whats up y'all, I come in search of wisdom. Ive noticed for a while now a white translucent crust like residue (as if vapor or liquid has evaporated on the surface), coating the sides of my bike. Just from working on cars, it looks like when coolant dries- but I have looked high and low for a leak when the bike was pretty hot and I cannot find one. I need to get my paddock stand out there and level it out to check the tank better, but when I looked at it leaning fairly close to verticle - it seemed to be full. unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed.jpg

Please Help! Take a look at the photos, see what you surmise. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    low probability but check your battery for leaks also. Maybe the acid from battery leaked?

Look like dried road salt... possibly from salting roads during this winter season?

Quote Originally Posted by TN6R View Post
    Look like dried road salt... possibly from salting roads during this winter season?
    I'm with everyone else. Give it a wash and check after a ride.

Ok thanks yall, I had thought it might be something like that. In Atlanta we dont really have salt trucks or anything like that, it did snow about a month and a half ago. Ill keep an eye on it, I appreciate the insight!

Its possible that your State road crews panicked and ordered some in from other areas to mix with the sand/cinders/ whatever they DO use.

My bike looked like that (not as severe) when I went for a long ride on a sunny warm day, which was 2 days after a NC light snow/ice event that they brined the roads for. I'm pretty darn sure you rode on a brined road, probably through a puddle or a few damp areas (?). I'm with everyone else. Wash her really well. Salt (brine) is nasty stuff.

Pretty sure it's just good old oxidation. I have some on my bike too and I don't ride during the winter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag