Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NOOB question: How to charge battery?

You should definitely be on 12 volts as you'll never charge beyond 6 volts on a 6-volt setting. Think of volts as pressure. You'll never get 32PSI in your tire with your compressor regulated to 16 PSI. In fact, if your tire is at 28PSI, it'll push air into the tank. Voltage works roughly the same way.

On that link you posted for your charger, there's the word "DOCUMENTATION" under the picture of the charger. If you click on it, it'll load the manual for your charger. Page 5 and 6 list what the lights indicate and their error codes. Amber stead means the battery is charging. The green battery light flashing means above 80% capacity. If the 12V or 6V light is flashing, it means the battery is bad or the wrong voltage is selected.

As STI491 stated, it's more of a trickle charge. That said, standard aircraft battery chargers only run a 2amps. You just end using charts to determine how many hours to leave the battery on for a full charge, typically over-night at least. A brand new lead-acid battery at 2 amps can take 24 hours or more for a proper charge.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

2. Thanks armado thanked for this post
    Likes armado liked this post

(sti491) Many times when I have a 12 volt battery that has very low voltage (under 9.5 to 0) I start it out on a 6 volt charger. Most 6 volt chargers will take a 12 volt battery to over 10 volts. The reason is SOME newer electronic 12 volt charger-maintainers have a low voltage cut out. To protect themselves they will not try to charge a 12 volt battery if it is below 10 volts when attached. Many like the OP's Battery Tender shut down after a set time (33 hrs) if the battery does not reach full voltage. They will not charge unless reconnected. The older transformer type chargers don't have this feature. They will charge anything, but they can't be left hooked up. I believe the OP's battery must be old.
    Tom

4. Thanks armado thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by tdnathens View Post
    (sti491) Many times when I have a 12 volt battery that has very low voltage (under 9.5 to 0) I start it out on a 6 volt charger. Most 6 volt chargers will take a 12 volt battery to over 10 volts. The reason is SOME newer electronic 12 volt charger-maintainers have a low voltage cut out. To protect themselves they will not try to charge a 12 volt battery if it is below 10 volts when attached. Many like the OP's Battery Tender shut down after a set time (33 hrs) if the battery does not reach full voltage. They will not charge unless reconnected. The older transformer type chargers don't have this feature. They will charge anything, but they can't be left hooked up. I believe the OP's battery must be old.
    Tom
    I had not heard of that before. Thanks!

6. Thanks armado thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12