Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2012 fz6r pulled metal from oil pan

Default 2012 fz6r pulled metal from oil pan

so I noticed some knocking noise each time my bike was in neutral I was told to drop the oil pan and see if anything was causing it sure enough found some pieces of metal looked like it could have been from a gear or something.. wanting to know more about what it could be from and how to fix this issue im sure someone has had the same situation before and could help before i wind up paying a mechanic an arm and leg to fix it..
    Attached Images Attached Images

No doubt that those are gear teeth. No way to know exactly what has failed and the amount of damage done until the engine is disassembled.

What is the history on the bike? Recent purchase?
    How many miles?
    Now: 2015 FZ6R & 2008 WR250R
    Past: 2009 FZ6R & 2008 CBR1000RR

3. Likes cali.jack liked this post

Sorry to see that. I am surprised it shifts al all. Good luck on the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by cali.jack View Post
    so I noticed some knocking noise each time my bike was in neutral I was told to drop the oil pan and see if anything was causing it sure enough found some pieces of metal looked like it could have been from a gear or something.. wanting to know more about what it could be from and how to fix this issue im sure someone has had the same situation before and could help before i wind up paying a mechanic an arm and leg to fix it..
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Likes cali.jack liked this post

the bike actually shifts fine surprisingly but i never got past 3rd gear so could be 4th or 5th.. i was told that the bike had rear ended a van but it didnt look to bad to me i mean the fairings werent on it but i didnt care because i was going to turn it into a stunt bike anyways.. it only has 14k miles

Have you cut open the filter to see what else may be hiding there? If you have the pan off still, I'd look at the exposed part of the transmission in the chance the damage occurred in that section.

If you hadn't already dumped the oil, I'd have suggested you send a sample off for oil analysis to see if there are any more clues to the extent of the damage.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

8. Thanks cali.jack thanked for this post

20180215_153745.jpg found out where that metal came from. does anyone know what gear that is or if i would have to replace all of the gears? the gear is the last one on the shifter side

I saw this today (its not mine) Not sure if its a good price or not but...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-10-11-....c100290.m3507

Bummer for sure. I'll be interested in what you find out, keep us posted.
    Milepig (John)

Quote Originally Posted by cali.jack View Post
    found out where that metal came from. does anyone know what gear that is or if i would have to replace all of the gears? the gear is the last one on the shifter side
    If you go to BikeBandit and look at the exploded view, you should be able to locate the part. However, I'd still be concerned about the damage I may not see. It's odd for one single gear to shed teeth without at least beating the hell out of the gear that tore them off. If you get ahold of a manual, dropping those gears isn't too hard.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

What caused that? Did you shift really hard or something? Just curious mainly.