Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting the FZ6R Jewel

7th gear searching is the EXACT reason I put it in. All of the gear indicators only show the gear when the bike is moving, or reving a certain amount. So it won't say "1", sitting at a stop sign. But it will going pretty slow. I really didn't like searching for 7th all the time! Lately I have also been using slowing for a 90 degree corners at an intersection without a stop. 3rd gear seems perfect for that. A quick glance is perfect to verify. It's really a great feature romping on the mountain twisties too. Nice KNOW I'm in 4th or 5th, vs up or downshifting leaned way over and upsetting things catching it wrong. I love it. Can't wait to light up the jewel! I ordered the light.

I ordered the IDEA gear indicator from Amazon, it will be a perfect solution to the 7th gear searching. I tend to stay in third in city riding and typically keep the rpms high to enjoy the sound of the bike. It will definitely be more comfortable knowing which gear I'm in when downshifting into a corner. I may need to ask for some help locating the wires when I get the thing. What color led did you go with ?

Just ordered an Encore M1 2-way security system. I liked some it's features after researching. It includes a baby LED that flashes when the system is alarmed so people can see it, if you put it on the upper fairing pieces or dash somewhere. It's easy enough to install.

I am wondering though, is it a good idea, or a bad idea to advertise the security system is "on"? Would some passers-by stay away if they saw it, vs. "lets mess with to it see if goes off"...

I guess I am leaning towards installing the LED. Sounds like you are in the business and I would like your opinion please.

Quote Originally Posted by adazine View Post
    Thanks ! I plan to do both before this spring - the gear indicator is an absolute need, I keep wanting to shift into seventh gear !

Most of the time people want to know how the alarm works. I like the alarm to deter people from sitting on the bike when I'm at work. I put a mercury tilt switch under the seat so when the bike goes upright from the stand position the alarm will go off. Mount the led, it's good to let people know the bike is alarmed. Never had a problem with people messing with the bike when I'm out.

I just finished installing the IDEA gear indicator. I did a press in fit into the instrument shroud so that I can pop it out when needed. The bar behind it keep it in place nicely.

DSCF6068.jpg

5. Likes TexanFZ6R liked this post

Thanks for the alarm advice. Great job on the gear indicator mount. Have you ridden with it yet? I think you will like it. What do you use to cut the hole for it, dremmel? It looks great!

Most of the time people want to know how the alarm works. I like the alarm to deter people from sitting on the bike when I'm at work. I put a mercury tilt switch under the seat so when the bike goes upright from the stand position the alarm will go off. Mount the led, it's good to let people know the bike is alarmed. Never had a problem with people messing with the bike when I'm out.

I just finished installing the IDEA gear indicator. I did a press in fit into the instrument shroud so that I can pop it out when needed. The bar behind it keep it in place nicely.

DSCF6068.jpg

Thanks ! I used an X-acto knife. I measured 1mm smaller than the rectangle and carefully cut that out - pulling in half way from the corners then went to the backside and from the corner marks worked that side. I worked both sides until I cut through, then carefully worked my way out until I could get the piece in tightly. I made a .125 thick backing plate at work to keep it level. Took about 20 minutes. It's the perfect spot on the bike and I'm happy there was room to get it there. I haven't set it up yet, waiting for warmer weather.

Here's what the amber led looks like. I installed an electronic dimmer so I can vary the brightness for night riding. All the led's on the bike consume less wattage than the 55watt stock halogen bulb - less drain on the battery.

DSCF6082.jpg

DSCF6068.jpg
    Love it! I didn't like the thought of just sticking it somewhere.

10. Thanks adazine thanked for this post
    Likes adazine liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12