Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: De-snorkification!

Default De-snorkification!

So after riding a couple hundred miles on my new exhaust (separate post) and getting my Power Commander dialed in, I decided to mod the airbox. This mod has been done by others providing some top end improvement.

My concern is intake howl that may be annoying, so I didn't want to hack my like-new airbox. Got lucky after searching and found a nice one on E-bay for $14 delivered. If I don't like it, I'll just go back to the stock box.

I've been told with my exhaust mod, it's loud enough to drown out the added intake noise... well see. It snowed a couple inches last night, with cold weather predicted here in NC, so it could be several days before I get to check it out.

I also noticed on my bike, there was a large electrical connector bundled in a big boot blocking the front hole where cold air enters the bottom of the intake area where the thick rubber engine heat deflector funnels air to the original snorkel. I tucked it up to the left and zip tied it. Now my larger intake has unfettered access to cooler air coming in the front hole and two side holes, that are there mostly for the throttle and other cables/electrical to route through. This may make no difference, but it just seemed stupid to block the one access to cooler air, given the entire airbox is on top of a hot engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sti491; 01-30-2018 at 07:04 AM.

My bike now "sings the song of our people": Waaaaahhhhh!!! Ripped on it some on the way back from Lexington, NC today. The air box mod wails between 9,000-12,000 rpm. Not too noticeable below that. Fun times… really fun times. It might backfire a little less, not real sure. I love the deceleration sounds it makes. The bike is so smooth now and way more throttle sensitive. It’s a bunch quicker too with these changes, weight savings including going with a Lithium Phosphate battery. I have to be down at least 20lbs, with the fender delete, exhaust, battery and everything else. Great fuel map from Martin.

I was in the foothills of the blue Ridge mountains Saturday with my son on his SV650. I was riding her pretty hard (for a 63 year old guy with 3 back surgeries, LOL). Got 39 MPG. I’ll take that! The highest I have had which was combined ripping & cruising was 41.9MPG

The difference with the exhaust (separate post), Power Commander and airbox mod completely transforms the bike.

That was a cheap and effective mod that worked well also. FZ6 cam swap require a bit more mechanical skills but you would gain a lot, like adding what you improve on top of now.

https://www.600cc.org/forum/threads/...light=fz6+cams

Martin

Life is all about attitude. Be hard on yourself, easy on others.

FZ6R sold...

sti491 your making me jealous ! I want to be out riding, but at 28 degrees and ice I'll have to wait a little longer. My sister lives in Pembroke and my best friend from high school lives in Concord, I was in Fayetteville for a while then moved back to CT. I miss those long country roads from Fayetteville to Concord. I'm looking to find an extra air box like you did and see how that will effect my setup. Right now she runs really good with the K&N filter, block off plates and exhaust. I have the Two Brothers Juice Box dialed in and all is good so far. Going to read your Power Commander post now - Cheers !