Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marthy Tribute Exhaust.... Oh yeah!

The previous owner of my bike had Marthy exhaust installed, but without the hanger. As a new rider and new to bikes, I had no awareness of an exhaust hanger and its need. None of the mechanics that worked on my bike found the hanger absence a safety risk. I had the bike lowered shortly after I bought. Every so often the edge of exhaust Can started to scrape the asphalt. When I took it to the mechanic for a resolution, he simply turned the oval shape to a diagonal orientation so that the Can end where it was scraping got a little more clearance off the ground. For the amount of leaning I was doing initially that minor adjustment kind of addressed the issue. But a year later as I got more comfortable and leaned the bike more, the scraping resumed. One day when I returned home after a ride, the exhaust can was missing but the clamp and internal baffle were still on the header outlet. The exhaust can ripped from the connector pipe and fell off during the ride, but fortunately it didnt come under the wheel or between the chain. It would have been a major disaster if it did.

I contacted Marty for replacement suggestions and he said the previous owner should have installed it with the hanger. At his suggestion I bought the Delkevic ds70 and retrofitted it to the existing custom header, but this time with the hanger. The clamp connection could be sturdy but the Can can separate at other joints within its structure, like it did in my case. Also with such small clearance between the Can and the Tire, unless the can is firmly secured with a hanger there no way of ensuring the can wont move while riding, during bike maintenance, or a kick from the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by sti491 View Post
    Delkevic provides a nice enough strap type hanger I did plan to use. I even positioned the can so it was useable, albeit with some modification of the strap/hanger. It became a bit of a chore since I hung my can with the oval shape horizontal, which I think looks way better. Delkevic hangs all their cans on their pre-fit systems with the oval vertical.

As I was working on the strap, I realized how firm it was mounted without it. Before I hung the entire exhaust, I was thinking it would be too hard on the header bolts not to have a strap/hanger. However, the can only weighs 2.7lbs, and after thinking about it, there are 8 stout header bolts and the four ends of the header pipes are stuck inside the engine exhaust ports at least a half inch, so the bolts are not under any significant stress. It also looks better without the strap.

So, after grabbing the end of the can and trying to rip it of & shaking it, I realized it was not going anywhere. I decided not to add the strap unless it loosens up. I have checked it frequently in 200+ miles of hard riding and nothing has loosened up. Time will tell if I need a strap. So far so good.

It is VERY firm without the strap. It does not move or vibrate with the bike running, which surprised me.
    Last edited by fz6rowner; 01-31-2018 at 08:21 PM.

That is a fair concern and I share it. For the time being I am watching it carefully, checking it every ride.. I don't think my can can rub in a corner the way I have it mounted, tucked high and under, but I could be wrong. I may add the strap. Thank you for the insight.

Was your first can that came apart a Delkevic DS70... the way it is constructed it doesn't seem like it would come apart that way?
    Last edited by sti491; 01-31-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Not sure, it could have been a customized Danmoto exhaust. But it certainly was not a Delkevic.

Quote Originally Posted by sti491 View Post
    That is a fair concern and I share it. For the time being I am watching it carefully, checking it every ride.. I don't think my can can rub in a corner the way I have it mounted, tucked high and under, but I could be wrong. I may add the strap. Thank you for the insight.

Was your first can that came apart a Delkevic DS70... the way it is constructed it doesn't seem like it would come apart that way?

I am not taking anything away from your experience or point, I think it is a good point. That's why I am checking it every ride. I can see how grounding it with a 400lb bike in a corner with G-forces, etc could loosen it and cause a problem. So far so good. That DS70 seems like it is made like a brick, with great welds. But, the strap still may be in my future! I hope mine doesn't scrap because there is no way for me to tuck it any better.

sti491, That's exactly why i was asking. I installed the muffler strap on mine but it was not that difficult since mine is vertical. I think it might be a pain in the butt to mount the can horizontally while using the exhaust strap so you may not have a choice.

I used the hanger that came with ds70 even when i had the exhaust Can under the bike (now i have it on the side). The oval was diagonally oriented. I used a metal strip with holes on either end and twisted it slightly along its length, so that the hanger bolt lined up on one end, and a mounting bolt on the other end. This other end was mounted to the same non-moveable ring hole where the oem exhaust was mounted. The horizontal metal strip held the exhaust firmly towards the header outlet and away from the wheel/chain.

After your experience and talking to Delkevic, where they said they get about one customer per year that drops a can with no strap, and considering mine is right in front of the rear tire, I decided to add the strap. It was indeed a challenge, as I had to fabricate a hanger and completely re-shape the strap.

It is super strong now! Doesn't look too bad either! Thank you for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sti491; 02-11-2018 at 05:23 AM.

8. Likes fz6rowner liked this post

Had a question.. concentric or eccentric reducer? Also did you use a short radius 90 or a regular 90? I am a pipe fitter by trade so this task should be a piece of cake. Thanks in advanced

This is what I used:

Stainless 2" 90° Mandrel Bend Elbow - 1.5D Radius - 16GA/.065" Wall - 2" Leg - SS304 - Stainless Bros https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778QYKPF..._NueGAbY44EVP3

2" OD to 3" OD Exhaust Pipe Connector Adapter Reducer 304 Stainless Steel

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182580791192

It would have been nice if I could have got the reducer in the thicker wall 304 SS like the bend, but I could not find it. The way I ended up cutting the header mostly with a sawsall and an oscillating saw, and after cutting the reducer with a dremmel cut off wheel, the reducer fit just barely inside the header opening giving a nice purchase to weld.

Getting the angle right on the bend is tricky because it will not fit under there worth a darn to measure it. I eyeballed it and somehow got it right the first time. One trick I'll share that really helped me get the curve cut symmetrical which is really important, after marking where I wanted it with a sharpie, which was a pretty rough freehand squiggle, I use a hose clamp on the pipe, tightened down snug on the radius where I needed it, and dremmel cut it using the hose clamp as a guide. It came out literally perfect. I do not think I could have free handed it nearly that well.

Here are a few more picks of the parts for you.

Quote Originally Posted by xplumberx View Post
    Had a question.. concentric or eccentric reducer? Also did you use a short radius 90 or a regular 90? I am a pipe fitter by trade so this task should be a piece of cake. Thanks in advanced
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok now how do I go about getting Marthy's maps? I am doing the block of plates, k & n air filter, and this exhaust. Should be close enough I would think?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast