Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: wiring diagram ok to make?

Default wiring diagram ok to make?

would it be ok to design & post a full-color fz6r wiring diagram of my own making (i'm a graphic designer) for community use?

i don't believe creating a wiring diagram from scratch would be a violation of yamaha's intellectual property or the forum's policies, but wanted to check first rather not have a permaban right off the bat.

The factory service manual has a full color wiring diagram in the back. Not that it can't be improved, but it's pretty good.

To your question: If you publish original art you are not violating copyright law, as I understand it.
    Now: 2015 FZ6R & 2008 WR250R
    Past: 2009 FZ6R & 2008 CBR1000RR

thank you, i've just found it. decided to go a head anyway—mostly because i'm interested in learning everything i can about this (my second) bike, and as a neophyte, generally about dc electronics (solar, motorcycle, sail). it's interesting learning what the parts are and where they go (including what the common symbols mean). found myself flipping between pages to scan a reference list & look up which part is which on the diagram over and over again. attached are a few screenshots in progress. if anyone with more knowledgable eyes sees something wrong, lemme know. (i will post a pdf vector version that can be downloaded & zoomed-in at full resolution when the thing's complete).

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.20.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.20.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.21.11 PM.jpg

Looks good. I agree that a labeled wiring diagram is much easier to work with. I assume that Yamaha uses the number call-out system to support multiple languages.

If you want to have some fun, do a current flow diagram of the "Main Relay" (Starter interlock & EFI) in various conditions - i.e. in/out of gear, side stand up or down, etc.

ha! (now i'm googling what a current flow diagram is...) thanks bluepill, i think you're right, easy multi-language support makes sense re: the numerical system on a separate page

quick screenshot of ecu diagram area in progress...why did i start doing this!? learning a lot about the basics, but really hope this doc will be useful in the end

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 8.40.29 PM.jpg

FYI, one of the best tricks I learned for actual troubleshooting in a complex electrical system is to start with a black and white wiring diagram, then trace out the circuit(s) that I want to follow with color highlighter markers. Greatly reduces the visual complexity when you want to concentrate on a small part of a larger circuit.

8. Thanks Bert-Aus thanked for this post

The number callout I think has more to do with consistency and the space requirements for a lot of the part names. It's more consistent to lay them all out that way than to lay out only the ones that don't fit like a US map does for just the East Coast.

Looks like you got a good start. A few suggestions. For fuses, it's also common in some manuals to have the rated amperage listed by them (i.e. "Headlight Fuse (5A)" or whatever the actual rating is.). Some aircraft wiring diagrams also list the gauge for each run of wire for quick reference if you ever need to replace or splice wiring. It greatly speeds up repairs (though we use those color-coded crimped splices on aircraft that everyone thinks is tacky and unprofessional in the motorcycle world.) Those are just a few things I've come across that I always thought were helpful features.

If you want to learn more than you ever wanted to know about electrical systems read chapter 12 of the FAA General Maintenance Handbook or this chapter in the FAA Airframe Maintenance Handbook.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."