Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Would you trust my tires?

Default Would you trust my tires?

Just bought a cream puff! 2012 one owner (64 year old is engineer friend who passed) Raven with 2,200 miles, always garaged, hardly ever saw sunshine. Mint. It still smells new!

Tires look brand new. No sign of any cracks, dry rot or anything. Look perfect. 5 years old almost always inside, taken for short conservative rides. Wear on back tire center is negligible, doesn't look like it was ever cornered hard inspecting the tires.

I am I inclined to ride it and watch them. My son says replace them now. He was in the car tire business for a while.

I am 64 and donít intend to track it... Iíll ride it relatively conservatively, to be honest.

What do yaíll think?

I say if they dont look dry rotted at all youll be ok. I just picked up a 09 with 1250 miles and its on original tires. They look like new so I been driving on them no issues at all.

I bet they don't have the traction they used to. Be careful if you corner hard.
    Honda CB-350, Honda CL-350, Honda CB-450 DOHC, 1000cc Gold Wing, Honda CB-400F, Yamaha RZ-350. Now looking for a new bike.

I ran the tires on my '09 for just under 7 years and 14,000 miles. They weren't dry rotted, just worn out.

Just my two cents, based on my own experience.

Enjoy your bike.
    Arizona!! It's a dry heat...

Thanks for the replies!

As they say, "Everything Rides on your tires" Lots of rubber compounds harden with time and loose traction potential, even if there are no signs of dry rot or cracks. Manufacturers recommend replacing when over 6 years from date of manufacture.

I don't like spending money, but good tires and brakes are not the place to save money, IMO.

BTW I recently mounted Bridgestone S21 tires front and rear and really love them They make the handling very crisp.
    Now: 2015 FZ6R & 2008 WR250R
    Past: 2009 FZ6R & 2008 CBR1000RR

I have a similar issue with mine. 2011 model with a 7 year old front and 5 year old rear. No dry rot, cracking, etc. Tread pattern is good, and similar to yours the chicken strips on the edges could feed a small family.

I just ordered shiny new T30 Evos because I'm a simpleton who misreads codes. I really thought my tires were from 2001. But, after thinking the brand new tires I received were 5 years old, I did some more research and figured out my mistake. Now I'm at a similar crossroads, but there's nothing like brand new rubber. I'm still deciding whether to swap 'em now or wait until next season.

I am going to buy new in the spring. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with my 5 year old tires other than they are 5 years old. Fresh rubber is nice.