Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Buzzing/Rattling Noise

Default Buzzing/Rattling Noise

Hey everyone, I bought my bike at the beginning of the season and noticed all summer that it has a weird buzzing/metal rattling noise. I realize noises are hard to describe, but I'll try to describe it as best as I can...

So the noise is heard only in 4,5 and 6th gears. Loudest in 5th from what I can tell. If it makes the noise in 1-3, I haven't noticed, maybe it's not as loud.

The noise only happens when I accelerate or cruise. Happens at any RPM, as long as it's in the higher gears.

When I let go of the throttle, the noise stops.

It's loud enough to hear over my loose helmet (need to get a new one) and my TB exhaust.

Kinda sounds like a car with a loose exhaust heat shield, like a rattling thin metal noise.

Noise isn't more obvious from left or right side. Can't hear it at idle.

What I've done...clean the chain assembly many times, including around the front sprocket.
    Lubed it with chain wax.

Changed the oil (before I ever drove it actually...so can't tell you if it started after the oil change)
    Oil is Motul 7100 10W-40, Full Synthetic Ester.

Adjusted chain slack. Adjusted clutch cable/lever.

Any ideas?
    I know these bikes make a bunch of noise, just wondering if it's a "normal" noise or not...
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R - White with Red Frame
    Two Brothers Carbon Exhaust, Power Commander V (Marthy's Sport RevA Map), K&N Filter, "Airbox Mod", FZ1 Black Handlebar, Red Shift/Brake Levers, Shogun Frame Sliders, Fender Eliminator, Flush Flasher Kit, ODX LED Headlight, Tinted Windshield

Long distance diagnosis of noises is about as hard as it gets. What you are describing does fit with "Ping/Knock" from the engine. Try a tank full of 93 octane and see if there is a change.

Maybe this will help to be more specific:

https://pictures.dealer.com/motorcar...a46fe03a51.pdf

More info on Knock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
    Last edited by BluePill; 10-19-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    Now: 2015 FZ6R & 2008 WR250R
    Past: 2009 FZ6R & 2008 CBR1000RR

Didn't happen on the FZ6R, but I think I had something similar happen on my 2002 Honda F4I. The symptoms you're describing are almost the same.

It turned out to be that the cam tensioner had gone bad. This cost me about 300 bucks to fix (parts and labor) back in 2008 on that honda but at the time I didn't know what it was or how to fix it. You might look into all other solutions before you start going down this route.

Good luck.

I don't know if I would describe the issue I had as "rattling", but it was more like buzzing. What I had was a problem with the fairing components having a little tolerance issues. At higher speeds, they would vibrate and buzz.

Try this... while you are riding and hearing the buzz, push down on various parts of the upper and side fairing and see if the buzz stops or changes pitch.

How I fixed it... I got caught riding through a dust storm and caliche collected in the gaps and hardened. The caliche filled all the gaps and no more buzz. I've heard other riders putting felt spacers between the fairing parts to stop the buzz.

Just my two cents...

Good luck tracking down the noise.
    Arizona!! It's a dry heat...

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I took the bike for a drive today (it's been a while) and have some better details about the noise and a small clip.

So the noise happens in all gears I believe, but it's MUCH more obvious in the higher gears.
    If I swing my left leg off the bike, the noise is louder. Right side doesn't change anything.
    The noise is still there when cruising or let off the gas, but it's barely audible.

Here's a horrible clip I took while my buddy was on my bike today:
    https://youtu.be/f5uOTLpuQ4Q

The bike has 20000km on it. I checked the chain today, it looks like it might be at the outer specs of the user manual, but still within the range it should be.
    I'll check it out with a measuring tape when I have some time...
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R - White with Red Frame
    Two Brothers Carbon Exhaust, Power Commander V (Marthy's Sport RevA Map), K&N Filter, "Airbox Mod", FZ1 Black Handlebar, Red Shift/Brake Levers, Shogun Frame Sliders, Fender Eliminator, Flush Flasher Kit, ODX LED Headlight, Tinted Windshield