Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: So... Tires that don't wear extremely fast...

Default So... Tires that don't wear extremely fast...

Well. Already again. I need tires (been running Pirelli angel st's front and rear) and 3100 miles later and I'm not far from cords showing on the back.... Front tire is hammered also (that's been on for 10k) I live in an area that is mostly straight roads with not much curves, but I do 400+ mile days into an area with curves and tend to use most of the tire (very little "chicken" strips left) so I want a tire that I can get more then 3-4K if possible. Been tossing around the Angel gt's, continental contimotions, Michelin pilot 4's, or is there another tire that is decent priced (or has a combo available for front/rear as a package)

Quote Originally Posted by Lpfm1990 View Post
    Well. Already again. I need tires (been running Pirelli angel st's front and rear) and 3100 miles later and I'm not far from cords showing on the back.... Front tire is hammered also (that's been on for 10k) I live in an area that is mostly straight roads with not much curves, but I do 400+ mile days into an area with curves and tend to use most of the tire (very little "chicken" strips left) so I want a tire that I can get more then 3-4K if possible. Been tossing around the Angel gt's, continental contimotions, Michelin pilot 4's, or is there another tire that is decent priced (or has a combo available for front/rear as a package)
    If you do a lot of flat slab the Conti-Motion is a killer tire for the $$$. I ran a few sets on the 6R and never had problem. I can handle twisties up to a point... but I never reach the point where I tough I needed more grip. On wet they're alright... I had wheel spin at 70 MPH on the FZ09 but not something you should have issues with on the FZ6R LOL

If you want something a bit more "spirit riding" oriented I strongly suggest the Angle GT. I push those relatively hard on a wet track day on the FZ09, probably as good as it get for street shoes! I had to come in and remove the peg filler because they were grinding on the ground... just saying!

Martin

Life is all about attitude. Be hard on yourself, easy on others.

FZ6R sold...

I like the pilot 4's. Have the GT's on my liter bike and regular on the fz6r. Don't have a ton of miles on them yet tho. I think the GT's have a firmer middle compound but not sure if they are recommended for our bikes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT leprecaun jon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pirelli are nice, the michellens tend to be sensitive to pressure change so you gotta keep an eye on your tire pressure or they will cup. Ill be putting some pirelli scorpion trail 2s on my ducati soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Current bikes: 2012 Ducati Monster 796 ABS, 1970 Honda CL350. Retired:09 Fz6r

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post

The philosophy I hold so dear though, took root right here on this forum. In all the posts I read about riders down and the benefits of ATGATT.

Hey lpfm1990 - I just ordered the Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires and chose those over the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires since they're a bit softer and the reviews said people were getting 6k mileage out of them. The 4's are a bit harder and would last longer, but they are also dual compound so you get softer sides and a harder center.

I have about 12,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot Road 3s and have just under 50% tread left. However, I have done a lot of freeway and mountain highway driving on them. I imagine they'd be more worn down if did a lot of start-and-stop city driving. Braking and accelerating are where most of your wear comes from.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

Just ordered some Dunlop roadsmart 3's to replace my Q3's. Reviews showed them getting 12k or so on the rear and a bit more on the fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk