Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Need advice please!!!

Default Need advice please!!!

Hey everyone!

A buddy and I had installed an aftermarket exhaust and a power commander on my 09 fz6r. We apparently had something wrong as we had gas coming out of the exhaust. I took it to a mechanic and he took care of the issue(we hooked it up slightly wrong), but to check the motor for discoloration when doing an oil change as that could mean the bike is shot. I'm not mechanically incline and just need some feedback.
    The bike has been riding fine the only thing is the gas mileage has decreased. Does anyone think this is fixable? I'm getting ready to have an oil change done on it so will get the motor checked out, just wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts until then!
    Thanks for any advice and input!

Do not run this bike! Change your oil and filter before you move your bike! If you had gas coming from the exhaust your oil also has gas in it. The only damage to the engine will happen when you run your engine with this mixed oil. Change oil and filter, put about 25 or 30 miles on your bike to get it fully warm, then change the oil and filter again. I can't believe your mechanic let you leave his shop without changing your oil. I did this 40 years ago and I know what can happen.
    Tom

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT leprecaun jon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wired up my juicebox backwards and flooded the whole motor ended up draining the oil pan ( oil and gas shot out at a remarkable pressure) i left the drain bolt off held the throttle bodies open and let her air dry for like a week. Put in a new air filter, new oil filter and some cheap oil, ran her for about 100 miles changed the oil and filter again, ran my normal oil for about 1k miles changed the filter and oil again and resumed normal intervals... went on to put another 5k on her without a single issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Current bikes: 2012 Ducati Monster 796 ABS, 1970 Honda CL350. Retired:09 Fz6r

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post

The philosophy I hold so dear though, took root right here on this forum. In all the posts I read about riders down and the benefits of ATGATT.

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT leprecaun jon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leprecaun jon View Post
    I wired up my juicebox backwards and flooded the whole motor ended up draining the oil pan ( oil and gas shot out at a remarkable pressure) i left the drain bolt off held the throttle bodies open and let her air dry for like a week. Put in a new air filter, new oil filter and some cheap oil, ran her for about 100 miles changed the oil and filter again, ran my normal oil for about 1k miles changed the filter and oil again and resumed normal intervals... went on to put another 5k on her without a single issue

I may or may not have done a preliminary flush with just warming the bike up.

Current bikes: 2012 Ducati Monster 796 ABS, 1970 Honda CL350. Retired:09 Fz6r

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post

The philosophy I hold so dear though, took root right here on this forum. In all the posts I read about riders down and the benefits of ATGATT.

For what it's worth, you can get your oil checked starting at $28 for just a standard analysis with Blackstone Labs. Here's the link: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php. They'll send you a free test kit in the mail, you run it like a piss-test (midstream, not start or end of stream), seal it and send it with a check or credit card number on the form. It'll let you know how bad-off the oil is by the difference between spec flashpoint and your sample's flashpoint.
    John

Current Bike: 2009 FZ6R Blue/White, Shogun No-Cut Frame Sliders, Pro-Grip Tank Pad, Rascal Grafik Tank Grip
    Current Gear: HJC IS-MAX BT helmet, Fly Racing Trekker Jacket, Fly Racing Butane Pants, Cortech Adrenaline Gloves
    Mileage: 17200mi
    "A good p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ rider is always learning."

Thank you for the replies! I took it in and everything seems to check out. My only concern now, is that my gas mileage on a full tank of gas is about 90 miles..and i know that is not right.

Any ideas on what is causing this issue?